Seeking Alternative Manifold Pressure Sensor

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
I have installed the Skyview HDX. Is there an alternative MP sensor to the one shown in the picture below? I am looking for a MP sensor that can be mounted on the engine side of the firewall. (I'm trying to avoid a major boot cowl deconstruction, instrument panel dismantling & firewall drilling if I use the one shown below). I am aware that Klavico offers sensors (oil & fuel) for this environment, just cannot find one from them for MP. Already tried the P4055 model from Klavico, which did not work.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 11.55.27 AM.png

GalinHdz

FWIW: I have had that exact MP sensor mounted on the engine side of the firewall since 2012 and 550hrs with absolutely no problems.

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
FWIW: I have had that exact MP sensor mounted on the engine side of the firewall since 2012 and 550hrs with absolutely no problems.

Klavico P4055, or the one from Dynon shown in the picture? If Dynon, the installation instructions are very specific and state...

"should be mounted behind the firewall, away from heat and moisture under the cowl, and ideally above the firewall penetration point..."

I originally had a Klavico P4055 mounted on a stand-off to an engine bracket tube, which was perfect. Hoping I just have the wrong Klavico model and can replace it with the corrected one.

What's interesting is that Garmin recommends the Klavico P4055 as the preferred MP sensor for the G3X. Here it is as offered by ACS:

GalinHdz

Klavico P4055, or the one from Dynon shown in the picture? If Dynon, the installation instructions are very specific and state...

"should be mounted behind the firewall, away from heat and moisture under the cowl, and ideally above the firewall penetration point..."
Exactly.... SHOULD not MUST. :cool:

kurtfly

I love flying!
The Klavico P4055 should work if it is the correct options. Part number should be P4055-30A-E-xy. x and y are the pressure connection and y is the electrical connection. Both are dependent on the builders installation preference. The key options are Absolute pressure, and 30 PSI (~2 BAR) This will allow up to ~60 in MP to be displayed.

P4055.JPG

RV8JD

I also have the Dynon MP sensor mounted on the engine side of the firewall in my RV-8. The MP sensor is on the left side in this pic:

i-4sZHhpL-L.jpg

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member

Where are you seeing that language? I don't believe it's in the manual (but could be wrong). The SV-EMS-220/1 should definitely be on the cold side, but the MAP sensor is okay on the hot side. For reference, this style of sensor is fairly widely used in automotive applications, where it's usually on the hot side.

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
Where are you seeing that language? I don't believe it's in the manual (but could be wrong). The SV-EMS-220/1 should definitely be on the cold side, but the MAP sensor is okay on the hot side. For reference, this style of sensor is fairly widely used in automotive applications, where it's usually on the hot side.
See this statement from Vans. 2nd paragraph...

E15CBB34-5BBF-422C-B340-43DCB0398330_1_105_c.jpeg

GalinHdz

Ohhhh a VAN's recommendation not a DYNON recommendation. FWIW I don't have a VAN's airplane.

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
Ohhhh a VAN's recommendation not a DYNON recommendation. FWIW I don't have a VAN's airplane.

I don't either... I'm building a Bearhawk. I bought the RV-10 FWF kit for my IO-540 and these are the details and instructions included.

baldcaldwell

I love flying!
Status update...

I have given up on the Klavico sensor will be using the Dynon MP sensor on the engine side of the FW as shown in some of the posts here, and confirmed even further after some digging. At this point, I am trying to gather up the correct fittings to connect cylinder #5 to the sensor that I am mounting to the passenger side of the FW. I have ordered a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" barb hose fitting and some Aeroquip 306-4 hose to attach to the MP sensor probe. I will create a .040 restrictor to go in the hose barb on the cylinder. Hopefully this should work. If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know...