Servo Too Weak?

daveg

I am installing a roll servo into my Zenith 601XL.  Per the application guide an SV32 servo was recommended.  I have installed, config'd and calibrated the new software and servo.  I initially mounted the rod end on the outermost servo arm location.  When I perfomed the servo test, the servo jittered and clicked, but did not move the control surface.  Assuming there was not enough torque power, I then put the rod end on the inner most arm location.  Then it was able to move to the right a little bit before clicking over and stopping.  It was, although, able to move to the left it's full intended travel.  Does this mean that the SV32 servo is not strong enough for my application??  If so, is there a way I swap for the next stronger servo?

Thanks,

Dave Gallagher 601XL  

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dave,
If it can't even move it on the ground, that sounds like a different problem. Adding 50% torque that the 42 would give you isn't going to fix that in the air.

One of our beta testers has a 601XL and he used two SV32's with no problems.

First, do you have your torque set to 100% in the roll setup menu?

Have you verified that the servo arm is perpendicular to the rod when in the center?

There has to be a reason that it has no power one direction yet the ability to go full left with no problem. I'd really ask that you go over your install and think about all the angles involved and see if you can theorize why it requires so much more power to go right than left.

We will of course trade a 42 for a 32 if a customer needs it, but none of our evidence says that a Zodiac 601 should need anything bigger.

almarton

Hi,
That is almost exactly what is happening to my AP74-EFIS D100 and SV32s installation. The difference is that mine only moves a bit in one direction when servo test stars with the stick off center, with stick centered it does not move at all only jitters and clicks.

Was that problem solved for the original poster off this topic?

I would aprecciate any help or feedback on that...

Thanks
Alex.

daveg

Alex,

To answer your question, the next stronger servo, an SV42, did resolve my problem.

Good luck on your system,

Dave G.

almarton

Hi!

After doing some ajusts on servo arm (put it perpendicular to the command rod) then the servo test went well and...

I made the AP test fly and all went well!!!!! Nice! very happy with it Dynon. Servos SV32 are ok for may PATRIOT 150, I will post the installation pictures soon as reference to you folks.

I configured the HSI serial com and got input from GPS Garmim 296 on the HSI BUT... still not able to execute AP74 NAV function, on test flight the only modes that worked were HDG and ALT.

Anyone knows if there is some configuration or buttons to press prior to engage NAV on AP74? (the gps had a go to set already)

And I still don't know how do I engage de CWS function or what does this CWS is supposed to do? Either I could not understand by the manual (my poor english I think) or I understood the manual but CWS is not behaving as such (on ground)

Hope to have a reply from support soon because I read and read the manual and did not understood the english explanations for those.

Thanks
Alex.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Alex,

Please try not to post the same questions in multiple threads. It makes it hard for us to track your issues. We'll respond to this in one of your other threads.