simpler cheaper D3?

hotrod180

I love flying!
   I'm curious if Dynon has any plans to produce a simpler, cheaper attitude-only version of the D2? I don't need the g-meter, and already have gps-derived groundspeed, track, altitude, & vertical speed on my handheld Garmin GPS-- I don't really want to pay to have it duplicated, or to have it cluttering up the screen when all I really want is the artificial horizon.
   Is anyone else interested in something like this?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Realize that most of the features that the D2 has are inherent in the electronic hardware platform. In other words, the D1/D2 need GPS, the accelerometers, and rate sensors that let it display some other things that the D2 can. So there isn't really any hardware cost to pull out there for a lesser-featured version.

We actually did have a slightly de-featured version of the D2. The original D1 actually didn't have wi-fi or the g-meter page, and cost $1425 when new and $1195 when discontinued. When we consolidated the product line, we actually lowered the D2's price from $1425 down to $1095, and you'll find it for under $1000 street price.

So essentially, the D2 is both more capable than the original D1 (which is closer to what you're asking for), but less expensive than it was ever sold for.

hotrod180

I love flying!
It was my impression that the attitude indicator display (aka artificial horizon) used the accelerometers etc but did not require any GPS input. Therefore my thought was that an attitude-only unit wouldn't need the GPS receiver and could be produced (and sold) for less money. I'm no electronics guys so maybe I'm wrong.
Today the trend seems to be that more is better, and the more features crammed into a device the better. This is true to a point, but generally speaking I feel that simpler is better.For simplicity's sake, as a VFR pilot I'd like to remove the vacuum system, artificial horizon, & DG from my airplane, and replace them all with an electronic horizon for "just in case" use. I already have a handheld GPS with all the GPS-based features of the D2, plus actual point-to-point navigation, and I don't wanna duplicate them- I just want the attitude display.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
One of the reasons the D1 and D2 DO work so well is that Dynon applied its extensive knowledge of ADAHRS to develop the D1 and D2. In the absence of Pitot and Static inputs in the D1 and D2, we use GPS Ground Speed and GPS Altitude, and as our thousands of D1 and D2 customers can attest, that approach works very well.

It was my impression that the attitude indicator display (aka artificial horizon) used the accelerometers etc but did not require any GPS input. Therefore my thought was that an attitude-only unit wouldn't need the GPS receiver and could be produced (and sold) for less money. I'm no electronics guys so maybe I'm wrong.
   Today the trend seems to be that more is better, and the more features crammed into a device the better. This is true to a point, but generally speaking I feel that simpler is better.For simplicity's sake, as a VFR pilot I'd like to remove the vacuum system, artificial horizon, & DG from my airplane, and replace them all with an electronic horizon for "just in case" use. I already have a handheld GPS with all the GPS-based features of the D2, plus actual point-to-point navigation, and I don't wanna duplicate them- I just want the attitude display.