Simplified autopilot addition?

trevpond

Virtual VOR is the ability to choose any point on the map (airport, ADF, VOR, random lat/long) and then choose a radial to fly inbound/outbound. Rather than just a direct-to from your current location, or a flight plan. It literally allows you to virtually create a VOR anywhere, and fly it like a VOR, with an OBS knob you can just grab and twist.

That's the one!! Pretty please as soon as you can do it.

best regards

Trev ;D ;D

NASA515

I love flying!
I like HDG also.... but, then again, there are times when I like TRK.  I also would prefer single axis engagement - for me that would be ALT only.

As I've played a lot with the current version, I have first favored the Simplified, and then the Expert, and back and forth. 

I guess what I'd like - I believe I've said this before - maybe in a PM - is a simple button push that allows me to readily switch between the two modes - maybe as a "Hot" switch, keeping the A/P engaged and transferring the current command structure, if possible.  That way, if I find myself in a changing situation that calls for Expert, I can switch over quickly, without having to dive into the Setup Menu structure.  That, I don't like!

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

bbtapb

Indeed.. It seems that as a VFR pilot, enroute I'd fly the HSI (Direct if I have to divert a distance) then HDG in B,C,etc.

TRK I guess would be good for those without an active flight plan, adjusting for winds.

OTOH, perhaps TRK is a lot more stable.. ;)

cmarbach

The whole idea here is that there is a blank button. Why NOT use it and what is missing is HDG.

cjhukill

I removed a D10a and trutrak autopilot to install a Skyview system, with a roll servo, in my RV8. I did not remove the Altrak, stand alone altitude hold autopilot however, as I preferred only that pitch function. Because I do not have a Skyview pitch servo, however, I cannot select the advanced autopilot mode, and therefore cannot get HDG mode. I vote for the extra button be assigned to allow me the option of choosing HDG over TRK when being vectored.

Jonas

Perhaps you guys could add an "intermediate autopilot" function in the setup menu.

With the same features available as the earlier version of autopilot.

I agree that the advanced autopilot is too cumbersome for VFR flight, and the simplified is just a bit too simple.

Switching between the two modes during flight is a bit of a hassle, especially if the plane only has one screen, even worse when switching at night. (Screen goes to a surprising, blinding full bright when in setup mode)

What worked great before is what we're looking for...
Altitude, heading/track/asi
With the option to engage one or the other, or both.

Gregmarlow

RV-9, built,sold.Rans S7 flying, Bearhawk building
I too would appreciate the heading button.  On my RV with the Advanced EFIS and a Trio AP I could only dial in a track when ATC would issue me a heading, so I would have to correct my track to get the correct heading, based on the wind.  I often wished I had an AP that could do what my airline planes could do.  IFR or not.  Thanks for a great product.

purlee

I love flying!
Yes, I have to agree. If HDG was a simple thing to implement in the "simple" autopilot, it would be a real "nice to have".

bernardsv

I love flying!
I fully agree, flying in Bravo airspace regularly, I'm frequently vectored by ATC. I consider the ability to follow a HDG to be an essential option within the 'simplified' mode of AP operation.

llacy

If you already have the Skyview system what is the total cost to add the Simple autopilot system?

airguy

$750 per servo, mounting kits are $25-$75 per axis, and if you want the control panel, that's $550. See this page for more info.

The control panel is not needed for simplified (or advanced) autopilot work - but is highly desirable for IFR usage under the advanced autopilot control setup.