Simulator

JWS

I am still hoping that Dynon will create an HDX simulator to run on Mac or PC. It would be the best way to learn and get really proficient in some of the capabilities Hard to do that while flying!

OlivierNEXT

I'm hoping for the same, to have a simulator to help our trainees to get familiar with the SkyView HDX. It would be a considerably added value to have such simulator. In our flying school, we're considering an other EFIS equipment just because of this lack of simulator. It's a strong request from our pilots.

Reactions: JWS

JWS

The video training is just OK, but a HDX simulator of whatever kind is very much needed. I think Dynon is hurting their sales by not having it.

TMartinPNW

Agree 100%, a simulator adds tremendous value and accelerates the learning curve for pilots transitioning from other platforms. I am NOT a Garmin fan but reluctantly admit their use of simulators helps a lot! Surely Dynon knows this, please place this above the line and develop a Skyview sim soon.

andresmith76

I love flying!
Just imagine all of the tutorial/demonstration videos that could be created by Dynon-users working with a Skyview simulator!

JWS

And it doesn't have to be kept upgraded like the actual software. Just a basic HDX simulator is all that's needed, both PFD & MFD.

cbennet12

Can't understand why Dynon doesn't offer anything
$$$$$ is at least one reason why. Garmin is a huge company (taking in to account all of their businesses) with margins that would make your eyes water. DYNON is by far more driven to provide value for the money. Creating simulators that are accurate are time intensive and therefore expensive.

I agree with you though, it would be great to be able to try out ideas and just practice on a HDX sim like I do with the GTN simulator. But assuming resources are a consideration, my first priority would be getting the v16 update. It’s been a long time since 15.4.7.

JWS

It should come out of their marketing budget, as it's a tool to sell more systems. But, yes, not at the expense of updates, etc.

Albee

I'll add my vote toward simulator(s). Having finished my new panel, I'm starting on a serious IFR cockpit sim. I can reverse-engineer the Dynon state machines & display code if I have to, but I know just how much work that is. Dynon, if I could interface a REAL HDX-1100, knob and autopilot panel to X-plane I'm serious enough to consider buying those. I imagine you must have something similar for development; in fact that's what it looks like you're using in your training classes. But an even better solution, assuming the hardware interfaces zre abstracted from the functional software, would be to make that core available so somebody could wrap that in simulated hardware for knobs, buttons and display.

Ron Mortellito

Yes... all of us want a simulator for the HDX... Certainly one DOES exist. We see operating in the training videos and at their booths at Sun n Fun and Oshkosh. So what is their thinking on holding it back. I'm sure many of us would be willing to pay a decent price to have access.

Reactions: JWS

JWS

It could be browser based, whatever it takes to get it!

Bonwit

I love flying!
It just seems so logical to provide a sim. Maybe they consider it an unnecessary expense that will not generate any revenue. I respectfully disagree. Particularly noteworthy is the fact that the competition (Garmin) offers one, and that puts Dynon at a disadvantage when a consumer cannot directly compare the two products.

JWS

It just seems so logical to provide a sim. Maybe they consider it an unnecessary expense that will not generate any revenue. I respectfully disagree. Particularly noteworthy is the fact that the competition (Garmin) offers one, and that puts Dynon at a disadvantage when a consumer cannot directly compare the two products.
Absolutely agree. I'm sure their marketing dept is in favor of it. It's also sort of a safety thing - better to learn more about it on the ground than in the air!