Skview/Garmin GNS 480 setup

bobl_51

I love flying!
Just wondering why baro-corrected altitude from the ADAHRS, with 2D GPS lock is not sufficient to provide moving map and synvision?

We purchased a 480 for our project, thinking that the terrain awareness of the 430W was the only feature it had over the 480 and a non-issue in the Skyview system. The bigger screen, the standby COM monitor feature and the cheaper price made it seem like a better fit for working with the Skyview.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You'll need to read about map datums for the full picture, but basically, GPS altitude and baro-corrected altitude aren't strictly equivalent, and the synthetic vision data is based on GPS altitude. The amount of customers that have devices that don't have a GPS that provides altitude that ALSO don't have an SV-GPS-250 (which provides altitude) is very very small, and so this hasn't been a technical issue that has needed solving. We generally recommend the SV-GPS-250 to everyone because it gets you both 5hz position data and a robust 3d position lock, but it's not strictly required if you have another device that outputs altitude.

rick789pb

I love flying!
After installing the Dynon SV GPS 250 in order for the map page and synthetic vision to show up on the screen, I have now lost the ability to use the Garmin 480 as my GPS 1. I have gone over and over the settings and have checked the ARINC 429 to make sure it was flashing (operating correctly) and it was! Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Rick

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There are a few things to check here. You might give our tech support folks a call at 425-402-0433 when you have a chance.