Sky view support for new ADSB weather products

RV711AC

Foreflight just announced support for expanded ADSB weather products, does Dynon support these on Skyview and forward them to Foreflight? If not is this on the upgrade path for future SW?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The raw FIS-B data, including the expanded weather, should just pass through. Note that there are some peculiarities with SkyView-ForeFlight Traffic/Weather integration that won't be solved until our next (15.4) release. But then, it should work. Note that we haven't tested this ourselves to date.

swatson999

Never mind Foreflight...what about *Skyview*? Does/will SV display the new weather products?

krw5927

I love flying!
Note that there are some peculiarities with SkyView-ForeFlight Traffic/Weather integration that won't be solved until our next (15.4) release.

Any idea on timing? Will we see 15.4 in 2018?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yes, SkyView will support the new wx products, but it's not in the next release.

15.4 is definitely 2018.

TouchTheSky

I love flying!
I understand that SkyView is not transmitting any 3rd party traffic data e.g. from Air Avionics TRX1500 over WiFi, right? Any plans to change this in the near future?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I don't believe there are current plans to change this. The ADS-B-based traffic/wx is essentially "passed through" in its native format, whereas various other formats would need to be individually converted and repackaged into something that apps can consume (such as the GDL format).

breister

I love flying!
Eagerly awaiting 15.4  ;)

On time. Within budget. Bug free.

On a good day you get two out of three. Always opt for the third rather than fly with the first when rushed.

krw5927

I love flying!
15.4 is definitely 2018.

Another month come and gone. Dynon, can you please comment on when we will see 15.4 and the promised wireless TIS-B/FIS-B integration with Foreflight?

RV8JD

15.4 is definitely 2018.

Another month come and gone.

Give 'em a break.  Yesterday Garmin released new software for the AERA 660 GPS and they were not able to include support for the new FIS-B weather products yet.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1321241&postcount=1

From Garmin:

"For those of you anxiously awaiting new FIS-B weather products, that feature didn't quite make it into this release, but is still planned in a future software release. We appreciate your patience."

krw5927

I love flying!
15.4 is definitely 2018.

Another month come and gone.

Give 'em a break.  Yesterday Garmin released new software for the AERA 660 GPS and they were not able to include support for the new FIS-B weather products yet.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1321241&postcount=1

From Garmin:

"For those of you anxiously awaiting new FIS-B weather products, that feature didn't quite make it into this release, but is still planned in a future software release. We appreciate your patience."

I'm not asking for the new weather products. Dynon has already stated support for those would not be in 15.4. Only asking for Skyview to send its traffic and weather to Foreflight over WiFi.  This was a promised feature in 15.4, which itself was promised in 2018.

I certainly hope merely asking for an updated ECD isn't too much to ask.

AFS is light years ahead of Skyview.  They seem to be incorporating new features while Skyview stagnates to focus on the certified market.

preid

I appreciate support sharing that a new release is coming out shortly, and as a result patiently await when they are ready. If we harass them about missing dates they won’t give us a heads up next time.
As for the focus on certified, could be a reason for the longer releases and lack of third party support. I recall the old Dynon when they Considered it, now when I ask to get my uavionox to be seen on display I’m told it isn’t possible, I understand the conflict of interest, but it’s also cost prohibitive going with dynon mode s compared to meeting the adsb compliance at a much lower price range. New releases aren’t nearly as exciting as it used to be so 15.4 may add something but I’m not using foreflight so 15.4 probably adds nothing new I can’t wait for.

krw5927

I love flying!
I recall the old Dynon when they Considered it, now when I ask to get my uavionox to be seen on display I’m told it isn’t possible, I understand the conflict of interest, but it’s also cost prohibitive going with dynon mode s compared to meeting the adsb compliance at a much lower price range. New releases aren’t nearly as exciting as it used to be so 15.4 may add something but I’m not using foreflight so 15.4 probably adds nothing new I can’t wait for.

You hit the nail on the head. While Advanced Flight Systems accepts and displays GDL-90 compatible ADSB-in from any source and now even talks with the Garmin G5 to use it as a redundant AHRS source, Dynon remains steadfast in its refusal to play cross-platform with anyone, meanwhile letting its own product stagnate.