Skyvector and gpx files

mervg

I thought it would be nice to be able to create a .gpx file from a Skyvector link so I wrote a perl script to do this.  Since not many users have perl on their computer I packaged the script as an executable and attached it. If you use Skyvector for planning you may find this useful.

Be sure to read the README file.

Attachments

• sv2gpx.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 164

NASA515

I love flying!
Outstanding!

Thanks very much, Merv.  This has been on my Wish List / Nag List at Skyvector and Dynon for a long time.  I've collared Dave of Skyvector in person three times about this without success.

I've tried several routes and it seems to work fine.  Now to load and try it in the airplane.

You 'da Man!

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

mervg

Glad you like it Bob. Make sure you verify where the route takes you before you fly it since this is just another experiment in Experimental.

Since externally generated .gpx routes contain their own coordinates I have not researched what happens if there is a mismatch between the SkyView database and the ones in the .gpx file. Perhaps Dynon could comment on if there is a sanity check when externally generated routes are loaded or if the route is used verbatim.

Merv Grindahl
RV-10
N9GX

jdubner

Thanks, Merv.  Nice perl hack!  Appreciate you providing this.

I can see a future of flight planning on skyvector.com (as I already do), running your 'sv2gpx' script, and writing the output to a thumb drive.   Plug in the thumb drive and I'll be good to go; no more MAP > FLP > ADD etc.

Thanks again,
Joe