SkyView 10.2 Beta - Better AP Trim sensing

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon has been working on improving our trim sensing algorithms in the autopilot servos. Some customers have complained about getting TRIM UP or TRIM DOWN commands when the aircraft is actually in trim. If you obey these commands and trim until no indication is shown, the aircraft will not be in trim when you disconnect the AP.

We believe we have a robust algorithm to fix this, but only experience will tell across a lot of aircraft. It's done a great job in all the planes we have tried so far, and so now it's time to get some more exposure.

Attached below is a 10.2 beta version of SkyView software. This software is identical to 10.1 except for the trim sensing changes. There are no other changes in the software. If you believe your trim sensing isn't as accurate as you would like it, we invite you to try this beta. It has been tested in multiple aircraft as well as via our internal release process, so we do expect it to be stable, but it does not have as many flight hours on it as a normal release, which is why the beta label remains. It is supported by Dynon and we do have a way to get you back to 10.1 if issues occur.

We appreciate any feedback!

--Ian Jordan
Chief Systems Architect
Dynon Avionics

Attachments

• SkyView-10_2_Beta.dup
    72.3 MB · Views: 163

preid

great to see the constant development for improvements. Look forward to many more in the future!
Thx!

hoyden

I will try it out. My RV6 manual pitch trim gets a workout with the autopilot engaged.

vlittle

I know that the A/P control head can provide autotrim, but there a lot of aircraft that don't or can't use it.

It would be really useful to provide a control field in the Adahrs seral output that would provide a message for an external trim controller, such as the M-PWR-2A that I developed for Makerplane as an open-source design.

It already sniffs the serial stream for Airspeed info and has stubs in the software for autotrim control. Yes I know that Dynon wouldn't get any revenue from this but it would make a lot of pilots happy.  I spent a lot of time assisting Dynon in the ADAHRS and EMS serial data protocol so that third parties can develop complementary devices. For example, I've done a AOA display, a trim controller and a stick shaker that uses this protocol.

What do you say?

Thanks,
Vern

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It doesn't reduce it if it was already accurate- it makes it more accurate so that it doesn't ask for trim if that would move you out of trim.

Also, we only do audio announcements of trim if you have ignore the visual alert on the screen for 30 seconds.

lalnaes

Great, I hope this solves the problem with false out of trim annunciations. I assume the beta is valid for European users as well and that the installation does not wipe out the other files that came as part of the Quick Update Package for release 10.1?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This beta will not change any databases you have installed. It is just the system firmware.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Vern,
The "force" field is already in the serial stream. This tells you how hard the servo is working. Given that writing a control loop with an unknown external device is a bit of an issue, it's more appropriate for an external device to read this force number and "solve" it, than it is for us to send the trim up/down command.

mmarien

Murray M.
Tried 10.2 Beta. I spent an hour or more in afternoon air so it was a bit bumpy.

A couple of things I noted. There are less alerts for trim. When there was one, it took little movement of the trim wheel and the trim indication disappeared. This is definitely different from before. When I did disconnect the AP the plane was in trim or close to it.

Good job guys :)

hoyden

I flew with the updated software today. The autopilot did not need an excessive amount of attention to the trim. The air was slightly bumpy and I was flying slow (RV6, 20", 2000 rpm). I did not have to chase the trim. I will need to take more data points...

lalnaes

Installed the beta-release and made a test flight yesteday. No more false "trim down" indications when in proper trim. Thanks for the fix.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Exactly the same for me. I tested yesterday during a 3 hours flight and I didn't have any message during this Time. Thank you very much for this improvement.

Sylvain

ggerhardt

I tested this beta version on a long, long XC on the weekend (~10hrs of flying). Worked very well - far fewer trim requests. One thing I did notice, though, is that after a climb when the trim adjustment is requested, one could over trim as the trim request is a little slower to go away. I suspect you guys have added a filter on this which works both ways - its slower to ask for a trim adjustment, but its also slower to recognize a trim adjustment. Absolutely not an issue, though. Worked very well.

The only other issue I had as I flew across the midwest was the "trim lady" usually kept me company - ATC hand-offs in the Northern MSP region are few and far between. With this new beta version, it got a bit lonely ;)

Geoff
Velocity 173RG, N173VS

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Geoff,
Thanks for the feedback.

This new system does have a bit more delay than the old one in order to get more accuracy. When you get a trim indication, we recommend bumping the trim, waiting a second, and then bumping it again until the message goes away. This will get you in trim very precisely.

NASA515

I love flying!
I upgraded to the Beta and have made 29 flights with it.  I agree with other posters, the Trim requests seem diminished, but I can't quantify with any precision.

I rarely respond to a trim request with any urgency, and if present for a long time, usually just just give it a jab.  I don't hear Betty - I think I turned her off a long time ago.  I've never been THAT lonely.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

DerekH

I love flying!
Ive loaded 10.2 and would now like to remove it, can anyone tell me how to do this ?

preid

why do you want to remove it?
Dynon support has a fix, I believe you'll need to contact them.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Please let us know why you prefer to revert to v10.1; note that v11.0 and all subsequent firmware versions include the trim improvements in v10.2.

Please contact Dynon Avionics Technical Support with your request - support@dynonavionics.com. We will need to know the S/N(s) of all SkyView displays in your system.

Please refer to this post.

Ive loaded 10.2 and would now like to remove it, can anyone tell me how to do this ?