SkyView 10 issues

rlmarshall

One of my 10" screens goes white out on start up or shutdown--occasionally after update to v10. Power off (button 1) and then power back on returns screen to normal. Backup battery just passed its annual. Other screen has operated just fine on v10.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Bob,
We had a few other reports of this behavior and believe we found the cause. Version 10.1 should fix this issue and is expected to be released next week. Please let us know if it remains after that update.

jdubner

Here's an issue I've not seen or even heard of before.

When attempting my 3rd or 4th screenshot of a flight, instead of "Screenshot Taken" I received a "Not Enough Room" or a similar message.  Since I knew there was plenty of free memory on my 16 GB USB flash drive, I punted and removed and replaced the flash drive.  Then I was successful getting screenshots for the rest of the day.

When I downloaded my screenshot files, one was not viewable by Windows Photo Viewer and reports a filesize of 54 bytes.

Earlier I posted an issue with the ICAO identifier of a towered field not being visible on some map range settings (obscured by the Class-D airspace circle I presume) but have not yet seen an acknowledgement by Dynon.  Please forgive me if I missed it.

--
Joe

preid

Bob,
We had a few other reports of this behavior and believe we found the cause. Version 10.1 should fix this issue and is expected to be released next week. Please let us know if it remains after that update.

Is it possible to get a list of what was updated/fixed in 10.1. I have waited for some of the issues mentioned to be resolved before upgrading.
Thx

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Software that's in development is... well... "in development" and thus somewhat in flux ;) We'll have a list of things that were fixed in v10.1 as part of the release of v10.1, release date TBD, but "soon".

Is it possible to get a list of what was updated/fixed in 10.1. I have waited for some of the issues mentioned to be resolved before upgrading.
Thx

vlittle

One of my 10" screens goes white out on start up or shutdown--occasionally after update to v10.  Power off (button 1) and then power back on returns screen to normal.  Backup battery just passed its annual.  Other screen has operated just fine on v10.

Me too.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Vern,
As we mentioned to Bob, this is a behavior we believe we fixed in 10.1 which should be out this week.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Now available! Thanks for your patience while we worked out the bugs with v10.0.

Thx

jdubner

On April 18th in this same thread I wrote:
When attempting my 3rd or 4th screenshot of a flight, instead of "Screenshot Taken" I received a "Not Enough Room" or a similar message.  Since I knew there was plenty of free memory on my 16 GB USB flash drive, I punted and removed and replaced the flash drive.  Then I was successful getting screenshots for the rest of the day.
I had the same issue again yesterday.  I received the message on my first screenshot attempt, waited about a minute and attempted another, and was met with success for that and subsequent screenshots.

I have not seen Dynon support address this issue (forgive me if I have missed a posting in this forum).

Is it possible that the performance of the USB thumb drive is a factor in this?  And possibly in the occasional exceedingly long download times I've reported (http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1399240372/14#14) that I encounter when trying to obtain my User Data logs?  Could the performance of SkyView's filesystem be non-deterministic if the USB flash drive is "flakey"?

Dynon support: would you please comment on this?

--
Joe
(far from home in Worland, WY at this time)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yes, all of the above can be related to USB memory stick performance. I'd definitely try another one to start. Or even before that, formatting the one you have (do a full format, not just a quick format).

Also, confirm that you're running 10.1?

jdubner

Makes sense.  I will (full) format the USB drive and report back next week after a few flights.  (Both problems don't occur on every flight so I need to give it a thorough test.)

Yes, version 10.1.

--
Joe

jdubner

Yes, all of the above can be related to USB memory stick performance. I'd definitely try another one to start. Or even before that, formatting the one you have (do a full format, not just a quick format).
I formatted and then reloaded my USB flash drive.  Formatting took a long time but chart restoration took forever -- Seattle Avionics, I'm looking at you :-(

First screenshot on the next flight was problematic.  This was on a Kingston DTSE9 16 GB flash.  Going to buy and try another flash drive on the next flight.

jdubner

Going to buy and try another flash drive on the next flight.
Came up with another 16 GB USB flash drive and had similar results on the 2 flights/4.2 hours I flew today.

The very first screenshot took an excessive time; all future ones seemed normal.  I received one or two "Screenshot - no space remaining" and one or two "Missing external drive" messages.  Also received an error message (can't recall the wording) when I tried to view one of my Seattle Avionics charts, implying no USB drive was available.  The drive was plugged in before power-up and not touched until after the day's flying.

Am I the only one who experiences these errors? Perhaps it's a hardware problem in the USB memory interface.  What do you think, Dynon?

jdubner

Which port on SkyView is your USB stick plugged in to?
IIRC it's the one that is part of the supplied wiring harness.  But I cut the USB type-A receptacle off the end and connected the wires to a panel-mount type-A receptacle (bought at Fry's Electronics).

So what I'm hearing is that I'm the only one having these issues.  I'm beginning to suspect the Chinese-made panel-mount connector.  If I replace it I will report back with the results; otherwise I'm going to live with it as I'd rather not work on panel stuff on a flying aircraft in the summer.

--
Joe

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Joe,
I'd try the USB stick plugged into the back of the screen directly for a flight or two to see if that makes a difference.

jdubner

try the USB stick plugged into the back of the screen directly for a flight or two to see if that makes a difference.
Now there's a great idea!  Thanks.  I'll try that and report back (but not right away -- I'm grounded for a while).

--
Joe

jdubner

I'm reporting back sooner than I thought I would -- the grounding wasn't as long as expected.  (I needed to replace my SV-EMS-220 but Dynon sent me a re-manufactured unit even before they received mine.  Thank you, guys, especially Steve in Customer Support.

Regarding my issue: this just gets weirder and weirder.  With my Kingston 16 GB flash drive plugged into the rear of the SkyView, my first screenshot of the day (sitting on the ground) displayed "Screenshot in Progress" for more than a minute!  Then I requested a second one and the resultant BMP file showed "Screenshot Taken" with a timestamp of 1:04 after the first one.  Honest, I have pictures! <g>

So I went back to using the original, wiring harness USB connector as my rear panel access is a P.I.T.A. 

A couple hours later I flew and requested my first screenshot (since cycling power) on base leg of a traffic pattern.  The "Screenshot in Progress" message did not change to "Screenshot Taken" until sometime on crosswind, and it was a long runway :-(

So all I know for sure is that my wiring harness USB connector isn't the cause of my occasionally slow flash driver operation.  And both of my USB thumb drives exhibit this problem.

Dynon and fellow users: does anyone else see this behavior?  If not, I'll be quiet. But I'm having trouble believing it's not a firmware issue.  OTOH, I've been fooled before :-(

Thanks,
Joe

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I can't say we have seen odd USB screenshot behavior here since before 10.1. What's your display's serial number?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
A few other questions: Are the screenshots ending up on the drive? Have you tried using the stick that comes with SkyView? Presumably you've tried formatting per previous posts.

And not that we wouldn't expect a Kingston anything to have issues, because they're quality, but we use the ones that come with SkyView all the time here. I'd try using that just to see if there's a difference.