SkyView 11.1 Software Now Available

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Just a quick note that we've just released SkyView 11.1. This is a bug-fix update only - there are no new features in 11.1. As always, a full list of changes are available here. The software itself is on our SkyView downloads page.

aerofurb

Hi

Just to confirm, if we updated the maps with v11.0 then we don't have to reload them with v11.1?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Apologies for being perhaps overly pedantic, but if by "maps" you mean "terrain databases"... it depends.

We released v11.0 with updated terrain databases. Shortly after the release of v11.0, we revised the terrain databases to correct some issues. If you check:
SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > INSTALLED DATABASES
If the date of the 3 terrain databases have the date of 2014-08-26 in the name, then those are the most recent terrain databases available.

Hi

Just to confirm, if we updated the maps with v11.0 then we don't have to reload them with v11.1?

aerofurb

Okay thanks, I'll check - and no problem with pedantics, I knew 'map' was wrong when I typed it! :-[

RVDan

I love flying!
Just uploaded 11.1 and during the 3rd flight of the day experienced a audible warning message along with a message that the ADAHRS was using GPS assist.  It only lasted a couple of seconds during taxi.  The system had been powered and in operation for several minutes when I received the warning.  System then operated fine for a 2 hr flight.

Never had this happen before.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I have had this happen when on the ground and the winds are gusty. This is due to taxi fast enough to get groundspeed and not any airspeed due to downwind taxi. It also cleared and worked correctly in flight.

RVDan

I love flying!
Thanks, that was exactly the condition, except I wasn't taxiing very fast. I may have had some groundspeed detected by the system though.

mashura

I have 11.0 installed, terrain databases have NO Date attached to them. Do I need to install again?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The "dateless" ones are the old ones. The new ones are definitely better, particularly the high resolution data, so we'd recommend that you update to them. These (because of their large size) aren't included in the software updates. You can grab them here.

Knd

I love flying!
Apologies for being perhaps overly pedantic, but if by "maps" you mean "terrain databases"... it depends.

We released v11.0 with updated terrain databases. Shortly after the release of v11.0, we revised the terrain databases to correct some issues. If you check:
SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > INSTALLED DATABASES
If the date of the 3 terrain databases have the date of 2014-08-26 in the name, then those are the most recent terrain databases available.

Please confirm that the file names ending with 2014-08-05.dup are also the latest.

Thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
They're not technically. We released slightly trimmed versions of the same data a few weeks after those to solve a disk space issues that a a few people were running into. Those can be found here, along with the more detailed log of changes.

Knd

I love flying!
So I need to spend another 3 hrs loading these files? What's the difference other than smaller files? If the older files loaded properly what's the downside to keeping them?

aerofurb

So I need to spend another 3 hrs loading these files?  What's the difference other than smaller files?  If the older files loaded properly what's the downside to keeping them?

I loaded v11.1 and found that that it took 7 minutes to load the very high res terrain (and less than a minute to do the very low and low res).

Dynon weren't kidding when they said they'd reduced the load time with v11.1....! :)

preid

Seriously? How did they go from 2 hours to 7 minutes? thats a 2GB file!
you sure it loaded correctly?

Knd- I asked this question on 09/04/14 and was told if it is working without issue (aka you have all database installed and no diskspace issue) it is fine to leave it alone.
I have left the 08-05-14 version.

Knd

I love flying!
Seriously? How did they go from 2 hours to 7 minutes? thats a 2GB file!
you sure it loaded correctly?

Knd- I asked this question on 09/04/14 and was told if it is working without issue (aka you have all database installed and no diskspace issue) it is fine to leave it alone.
I have left the 08-05-14 version.
Thanks Reid. I have flown about 10 hrs with the updated older databases and no issues.

I spent about 4 hrs today getting the databases on my memory stick (@94% it froze (I think the website I was viewing caused this), and had to restart downloads). I wasn't going to actually load them into SV until I got a response to these questions.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You're fine if you have the early August ones and files such as map database updates load OK. If you ever get a disk out of space message when you try to load something in the future (unlikely if your monthly map databases are loading correctly), then I'd say load the late August trimmed high res terrain file. Note this issue only applies to the Canada-Alaska, North America, Northern Asia, and North Pacific regions.

preid

I know its trimmed, but I question if getting a faster loading terrain will also refresh faster on the screen. What does "trimmed" mean? what was trimmed? resolution?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It already refreshes on the screen at 20Hz, I'm not sure you need any quicker.

The geographical area that was covered by some of the regions was reduced in order to get them to fit on systems that had other large databases. We did not reduce the resolution in any way.

The faster loading has to do with the copy process between the USB stick and the internal drive and does not change anything about the real time performance of SynVis or other terrain.