Skyview 3 and Jeppeson - which Avidyne or Garmin?

S

stede52

Re: Skyview 3 and Jeppeson - which Avidyne or Garm

I'm sorry, I'm still confused. The Jeppesen information (under the Jeppesen heading) provide on that page talks about customers outside the US to purchase Jeppesen data. When I called your sales staff they said we just buy the $500 license fee from Dynon and we don't need to get anything from Jeppesen if we are US customers. As you can see, I'm easily confused.

Steve

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

All customers need to buy the $500 mapping option to use the map, no matter where in the world they live. You only need to purchase this once per airplane, and you get a 30 hour flight trial of it before you have to buy.

In the USA, the FAA gives Dynon data for a small price, so we give it to our customers for free. Just go to our Downloads page and get it.

Outside the USA, data is not available at a low cost, so customers must buy this from Jeppesen.

You may buy data from Jeppsesn for the USA if you wish, but you will actually get less data than the free Dynon database has.

davestephens

I am probably being thik... but i am getting confused. I have a Skyview in an RV8 which i will be test flying in the next few weeks so i am trying to get all my ducks in a row. I am downloading all the databases now (3.0 and the high res europe, low res and very low res) and will put them on the skyview tomorrow.

what do i need from jeppenson? and is it $500 for the year? or $500 one off or the $500 and an anual subscription???

sorry if this has already been answered but I am new to all this (Im in UK)

Dave

jakej

Dave

I hope I can help here  ;)

Everyone needs to spend the $500 for the software to be able to use the mapping feature.

Then you decide which database you need - in your case you will have to get this subscription from Jeppesen in addition to the "one off $500" as above.

Now - in this scenario you cannot use one without the other.

HTH

Jake J :)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

$500 is a one time purchase from Dynon - for a single airplane, no matter how many displays - which buys you the Navigation Mapping Software.

Before you buy it though you have 30 flight hours in which it will work in a fullly functional free trial mode.

The Jeppesen data has different pricepoints for single updates vs annual subscriptions, and then you can choose between just NavData or NavData + Obstacles. Give them a call at the number listed on http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software_SkyView.html to discuss pricing.

Bottom line - if you want to try it out, just buy a single Jepp update. If you decide you like it, you'll need to buy the $500 license for the Navigation Mapping Software to keep using it after 30 flight hours.

davestephens

Thanks for the replies, I will get the singe update and try it as yo say.

Cheers

Dave