SkyView 6.0 Autopilot-IFR Capable w/VFR Simplicity

RobertHamilton

Staff member
Dynon announces new autopilot features becoming available with the upcoming SkyView 6.0 release.  They include VNAV, IAS Hold, mode sequencing, fully coupled approaches, a Flight Director with single-cue or dual cue presentation, and more for expert pilots who fly IFR. And an alternate set of simplified controls for those who prefer VFR simplicity, selectable by the pilot.

This is a free upgrade for SkyView customers.

More details are available at: http://dynonavionics.com/docs/news_version_60_08April2013.html

bkthomps

I love flying!
not to sound unappreciative, because this is truly awesome news (and welcomed!)

but how does this coincide with the advanced AP controller? (extra buttons/knobs)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

but how does this coincide with the advanced AP controller? (extra buttons/knobs)

Many of our customers passionately made it very clear that they could not or would not use an external controller for the autopilot. This pushed us to develop a software-only UI for the autopilot, and in fact caused us to realize the need for both a simple and expert UI depending on the mission of the aircraft.

We focused our energy at this time on making these interfaces as smooth and intuitive as possible, and even added touches like a nose up/down button to the expert UI which will alleviate the need to use the knobs as much. Because of this, the effort over the past few months has not focused on a specialized hardware UI, but everything so far has been created with the idea of an eventual hardware UI in mind.

So, short story, we have nothing to announce on that front today, and we've done our very best to make the new UI work so well that we hope few people will need the hardware UI.

--Ian Jordan
Systems Architect
Dynon Avionics

bkthomps

I love flying!
sounds great! i like the blended approach to it

i'll be one of the first to go out and shoot an ILS to minimums with it, I am using my RV for weekly transportation between home/work, I've logged countless approaches to minimums hand flying the vertical portion

Bruno

Hello Support

As one who has complain and been waiting for a fully capable autopilot, I must say that what I'm seeing so far ( won't be able to try it out for a few weeks til ) is meeting what I was hoping for..

Nice work, I will fully test it and will report my findings but I've got the impression that I will like it a lot..

Thank you

Bruno

pajfcorg

Ian --

Thank you. It is clear that Dynon listened carefully to all of the comments here and other places. Obviously I have not played with the new interface, but I like what i see so far. You guys do great user interface work and I am sure that using the main screen will be easy and powerful. :D

And.

If we were to assume (which is all I can do) that the new radio panel box is basically an input and output device with the real functionality controlled by software (and/or in the separate radio module), then it might be possible to repurpose that box. It seems to have several knobs, 5 buttons and a small display screen. That could mean that with a different labeling and different software, it could function as an advanced autopilot control module.

I think you guys have done a great job and I agree with your priorities. Please don't hear this as criticism. And, perhaps the next step in the evolution of the auto-pilot could be a separate control panel. :)

Phil

stevelindell

Any hope the D100 community could get some benefits from these software refinements? We are still waiting for the final release of the GPS dropout fix software. You have a large base of customers who would really be grateful for improvements with the D100 autopilot while understanding your primary focus will naturally be on Skyview. Could you throw us a bone so we still feel part of the family?

swatson999

Many of our customers passionately made it very clear that they could not or would not use an external controller for the autopilot. This pushed us to develop a software-only UI for the autopilot, and in fact caused us to realize the need for both a simple and expert UI depending on the mission of the aircraft.

We focused our energy at this time on making these interfaces as smooth and intuitive as possible, and even added touches like a nose up/down button to the expert UI which will alleviate the need to use the knobs as much. Because of this, the effort over the past few months has not focused on a specialized hardware UI, but everything so far has been created with the idea of an eventual hardware UI in mind.

So, short story, we have nothing to announce on that front today, and we've done our very best to make the new UI work so well that we hope few people will need the hardware UI.

--Ian Jordan
   Systems Architect
   Dynon Avionics

Let me be one of the first to thank and congratulate you for that decision. I was one of those people vociferously arguing for the EFIS-based interface rather than a separate box, and I'm extremely pleased to see that you've worked hard to make that happen. I can't wait to load this new software and put it through its paces!

Thanks again for listening to your customers! Great job!

Steve

trevpond

As one of your users who simply do not have any more panel space, thanks for the revised autopilot software controls.

Yet again, you listened to your users, thanks.

regards

Trev

;D ;D

airguy

Agreed - I only have space in my panel for one Dynon interface control, and I was having to decide whether it would be the radio or the AP interface. Now it's an easy choice - good job guys!

st8frm

I love flying!
Dynon:
Thanks for listening to your customer base. Can you guys run for congress? I hear the new Airbus has an "Auto Land" feature. Ya'll working on that?  THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!! ;D

Leon_Joubert

I love flying!
Thanks Dynon, clearly you have listened to your customer base and have responded favorably beyond expectation. You also have re-affirmed the beautiful design philosophy that attracted so many of us in the first place. Congratulations is in order!

I wonder if the new radio can also be operated without the UI panel? - maybe later?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's not possible, nor will it ever be possible, to operate the SV-COM-C25 without the panel unit.

<snip>

I wonder if the new radio can also be operated without the UI panel? - maybe later?

jnmeade

Will the expert signals be standard ones that can be read by generic autopilots or will they be proprietary and only able to be handled by Dynon servos? I understand autopilots like TruTrak will be able to read some Dynon autopilot signals but don't know if they can read all.