Skyview + Autopilot + VHF Nav Coupled integration

JP62

I love flying!
Hello guys

I have two questions regarding the Skyview (in my case looking at SV-D700/B), additionally with the Dynon autopilot servos installed (but without the additional autopilot control panel), and integration with VHF Nav/ILS.

With an Garmin GNC 255A Nav/Com installed:

1. Can I fly autopilot coupled ILS approaches with the Skyview and Autopilot?
2. Does the GNC 255A integrate fully with the Skyview, including
a. Displaying VOR, ILS and Glideslope needles on the HIS?
b. Displaying and tuning frequencies via the Skyview?
c. Showing what station the frequencies are for?

Finally,

3. Instead of the GNC 255, if I install a VAL Nav-2000 (Nav only) do the same answers apply?

Thanks very much – excited about your products!

JP

F

Fitz

Not sure about the Garmin.  I can answer about the VAL 2000.  I have a VAL 2000 in my RV-8A and it works great with the Skyview.  I can couple up and it will fly the ILS and it is displayed on the PFD/HSI.  I do tune using the VAL 2000 control head.  Cannot remember what freq's are shown on the Skyview.  I do not think the freq shows up on the Skyvew, but you select VAL 2000 as the nav source and that is what shows up. Hope this helps.  Sorry i cannot be more specific, I am on the road without my plane :'(

jdubner

Like Fitz, I also fly an RV-8A with a Val Avionics NAV 2000.  I have a single 10-inch screen with Knob and Autopilot panels. (I found it very hard to use the autopilot's expert mode without them.)

Here are a couple of screen captures that should answer your questions about what's seen on the screen.  In the first, the autopilot is flying a track to intercept the final approach course and holding altitude to intercept the glideslope (from below).  Note the TRK-> LOC and ALT -> GS display on the top bar.

ILS%20Intercept.png

In the second screenshot, the autopilot is flying the ILS with the CDI centered and pretty much "on glideslope".  Note the LOC and GS display on the top bar.

ILS%20Final.png

You can see the HSI Source (NAV2000) and ILS frequency displayed on the PFD.  The destination (KONP) and distance to it is displayed on the Map screen but only because I had set it as a GPS destination using the Flt Plan.

I find Val's Nav 2000 coupled with a homebrew "Bob Archer" Nav antenna in a wingtip to be a relatively low-cost IFR solution.  Incidentally, the NAV 2000 has a single antenna input for LOC and GS and the wingtip antenna works satisfactorily for both in my installation.

--
Joe

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The only thing the VAL does not do is decode the ident for the station. That's done inside the NAV receiver, not SkyView, and as you can see above we just show ----- when from a Val.

JP62

I love flying!
Thanks for the answers guys! Very much appreciated.

The summary, then, for any visitors to this thread is that both Garmin and VAL units will do everything I asked about in the OP except the VAL will not send station decode to display on the SV.

Awesome either way! Very very awesome!

ngjlaw

I love flying!
In connecting a Nav 2000 to a Dynon Skyview, is a Arinc 429 required to make this connection?

Raymo

I love aviation!
In connecting a Nav 2000 to a Dynon Skyview, is a Arinc 429 required to make this connection?

No. The ARINC is required to connect Garmin products (e.g. 430W/530W) to the Skyview and other products. Think of it as a protocol translator box.

The Nav 2k box speaks a native format (same as the SL30).

ngjlaw

I love flying!
I have a Dynon Skyview system. I recently added a Val Avionics Nav 2000 receiver which I have connected to the Dynon via a serial connection since the Nav 2000 emulates a Garmin SL30. The CDI indicator for the Nav 2000 has worked fine for several hours on both VOR receiver and glideslope. Recently the center part of the CDI disappeared from the screen when receiving the VOR. The indicator works fine for the ILS glideslope but deviation portion of the indicator is absent from the VOR. When I turn the knob for CRS the center portion of the CDI will reappear for about 2 seconds and then disappear again. I am confirming VOR reception audibly. I sent the Unit to Val Avionics and it bench tests fine. I have attached a screen shot showing the condition. What's going on?

NEAL JOHNSON

(318) 512-9196

Attachments

• screenshot-N403NA-SN10981-15_3_3_4688-20180417-165954-856-en_US.png
    screenshot-N403NA-SN10981-15_3_3_4688-20180417-165954-856-en_US.png
    336.9 KB · Views: 198

krw5927

I love flying!
Do you experience the same problem in flight or just on the ground?