Skyview Bus Architecture?

Bud_Keil

I have a question regarding the Skyview Bus architecture, specifically the avionics bus. I am planning a Skyview upgrade to a RV-4. Single HDX, Dynon comm, ADSB, heated pitot, A/P, Garmin GPS175, Dynon D3 as a backup & Foreflight on an iPhone. After looking at the schematics, it appears only the GPS and the Comm would be on Avionics bus. I understand the need to power up components after engine start and shedding loads in an emergency but it doesn't seem like these two devices would make that much difference in loads. For instance, I was thinking about adding the A/P and servos to the avionics bus to better shed loads at start up or emergency.

Any thoughts on Avionics Bus architecture logic or, in my application, the need for a separate avionics bus entirely?

Raymo

I love aviation!
I have a dedicated switch for the AP servos in case they decide to go crazy. Everything else is on the master bus and can be powered off individually, as needed, except the remote 261 transponder.

Bud_Keil

After reading articles written by Bob Nuckolls and Marc Ausman's book, I am thinking that an Emergency bus architecture might be a better option for my application. Has anyone had experiences (both good and bad) with this type of setup?

Marc_J._Zeitlin

After reading articles written by Bob Nuckolls and Marc Ausman's book, I am thinking that an Emergency bus architecture might be a better option for my application. Has anyone had experiences (both good and bad) with this type of setup?
You cannot go wrong choosing the Nuckolls architecture (Z drawing) that fits your mission profile.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Bud, go here:

and read Bob's stuff. The Book is available as a PDF here:

but I also recommend spending the $$$ to get the paper version, if for no other reason than to support Bob.

In the book, Bob has a bunch of "Z" drawings with different electrical system architectures, depending on what type of plane you have and how complex you want the electrical system to be based on YOUR MISSION. I see a LOT of planes with WAY overcomplicated electrical systems, when the folks have a magneto on their engine and are flying only day VFR.

At any rate, Bob's the man.

Bud_Keil

I was on Bob's web site but couldn't find a link to any 'Z' drawings where the link worked. Looks like it goes to a root directory but with no content. I'll look deeper.

I too prefer paper documents. A little old fashioned in that regard. :)

RV8JD

Last edited: