Skyview data log

tedwaltman

I downloaded my first data log from my newly installed Skyview. File name has .log file extension. Looking at contents using Notepad the file contents are in binary.

Is there a setting to get standard txt or csv format?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SkyView does not currently support a datalog format that is customer readable. The current logs are for Dynon use only. Adding customer viewable datalogging is on our planned features list.

skiplong

Is engine data logging available for the Skyview System?
If yes, can it be downloaded and viewed by the pilot.

thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Not yet, but it's coming soon. In the meantime, SkyView can stream realtime ADAHRS, System, EMS, and NMEA data out its serial ports. But you'd need a PC or other serial collection device to capture that data.

tdarden

FYI, none of those links in the Collaborative Doc line worked at 10:30 EDT Sunday 10/23/11.

Just to clarify, is the data output from Skyview the same as it is from the older Dynons? My D180 outputs in .csv files into a computer. It is very unwieldy but at least I can review the data. I want to upgrade to the Skyview. Will I be able to get the same data I get now?

tdarden

Also, again just to clarify, the D180 outputs a remarkable number of items (on intervals set by the pilot), like GPS coordinates, altitude, airspeed, etc; plus all the engine data, like FF, EGT, CHT, oil temp, MP, RPM, and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Does Skyview save and output all this same data? Or does it just output this realtime, but not save it? And/or, does it omit the engine data? You said "adahrs, System, ems and nmea," but I do not know what all those include.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SkyView currently only streams data in realtime out serial ports, but soon will support internally logged data that is exportable in a similar way as the D10/D100 series does. The format may not be exactly the same, but the same information (if not more) will be available.

The SkyView installation guide, available on our documentation page, has the complete spec for the serial output in the back.

Bubblehead

I just wanted to bump this back to the top. I REALLY need data logging. I had a very rough running engine last weekend and I really wish I had data that I could look at and use to troubleshoot the engine.

Any idea when that ability might arrive? I view this as a safety item as much as a convenience item. If there is a problem with the engine the data logger might capture something that would help solve the problem.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's very high on the list, but we don't have an exact release firmed up for it yet.

tdarden

I wanted to check the status of datalogging for the Skyview--is it available yet?

If not, can you help us think of a workaround? You mentioned that a PC or other serial collection device could capture the streamed data. Would any normal laptop work as the serial collection device? Do you know what kind of software would be required? Is there a useful alternative to a laptop for logging this kind of data, like a combination serial port and USB drive that could hold it? And, does the data stream have all the data that the D180 system has? I realize this last question may be answered in the documentation--will check.

If I had a stream of numbers, I assume a reasonably bright person (ie, not me!) could create a spreadsheet that could capture and display this data. Being able to review the data is really critical to flight safety.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The internal data logging feature isn't available yet. It's one of our higher feature priorities, but it won't be in the next software version. Thanks for your continued patience.

A PC can work as a serial capture device, and any serial data logger will work. Pre-Vista versions of Windows had Hyperterminal, which works fine. For Vista/Win7, http://www.ayera.com/teraterm/ is a free solution that can work. The data streams actually have much more info than the D180 did, and it's all documented in the docs as you guessed.

louie928

I wanted to check the status of datalogging for the Skyview--is it available yet?

If not, can you help us think of a workaround?  You mentioned that a PC or other serial collection device could capture the streamed data.  Would any normal laptop work as the serial collection device?  Do you know what kind of software would be required?  Is there a useful alternative to a laptop for logging this kind of data, like a combination serial port and USB drive that could hold it?  And, does the data stream have all the data that the D180 system has?  I realize this last question may be answered in the documentation--will check.

If I had a stream of numbers, I assume a reasonably bright person (ie, not me!) could create a spreadsheet that could capture and display this data.  Being able to review the data is really critical to flight safety.

Help may be on the way, if not from Dynon.
www.savvyanalysis.com
I see no mention of Dynon in their list of supported products. I plan to call them tomorrow and see if it is an oversight or some other reason.

louie928

If not, can you help us think of a workaround?  You mentioned that a PC or other serial collection device could capture the streamed data.  Would any normal laptop work as the serial collection device?  Do you know what kind of software would be required?  Is there a useful alternative to a laptop for logging this kind of data, like a combination serial port and USB drive that could hold it?  And, does the data stream have all the data that the D180 system has?  I realize this last question may be answered in the documentation--will check.

If I had a stream of numbers, I assume a reasonably bright person (ie, not me!) could create a spreadsheet that could capture and display this data.  Being able to review the data is really critical to flight safety.

Help may be on the way, if not from Dynon.
www.savvyanalysis.com
I see no mention of Dynon in their list of supported products. I plan to call them tomorrow and see if it is an oversight or some other reason.
I talked to the SavvyAnalysis developer, Mike Busch, today. Their current plan is to develop data logging and display applications for certified systems first. However, he was very interested in getting a data parser developed for the Dynon Skyview. He asked if anyone could email him a data output file from the Skyview, he would get right on it to get a parser module built for their data display. Send data files to support@savvyanalysis.com. Savvyanalysis is sa v v yanalysis, not sawyanalysis. Mike said he had several phone calls about Dynon Skyview today and has been in contact with Dynon regarding data display.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We'll make sure that we touch base with him. Thanks for the head's up!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Still coming in 5.1. Should be out this month - towards the end.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Carlos,
SkyView has had "user" data logging since 5.1 like we mentioned. That was released in January 2013. This saves in a .CSV file that can be opened right in Excel or another spreadsheet program.

Additionally, the format is fully supported by the Savvy Analysis website that was also mentioned in this thread. Savvy is free to use for most features.

swatson999

Hi... We are now in version 11. Any software to view a intelligible version of the data log?

Are you confusing the SV diagnostics data log (binary, for use only by Dynon when helping with a problem) with the User Data Log (ASCII, CSV file, usable in Excel or uploadable to SavvyAnalysis.com)?