skyview dirty rf ...testing... resolved.

knowlesbg

Have recieved confirmation from L-Comm that my order for both items mentioned above have been posted 48 hours ago so I presume it must be happening for all

Bruce

S

stede52

I receved and installed my last two 37pin filters yesterday. There was only a minor problem with all of them, they installed the nut plates backwords on the filters. I was able to reverse the nuts in the plates and make it work. I notified Dynon of the issue.
Steve

dbuds2

Great information and thanks.  Based on this recent learning and having just run my Dynon ADHRS harness from the rear of my RV8, is there a recommendation for it's position relative to other wires, anntenae and anntenae coax?

thibault

Just installed the 6 L-Com filters and new USB cables, supplied by Dynon, to the 10" and 7" screens in my Lancair 360.

Sitting in the hangar, with all comms and GPSs running, both the Garmin 430 and KX-155 comms are quiet on many frequencies. Both had been intermittently very noisy before the filters.

BTW, fired everything up before the filters today. It was noisy. Put the filters on the 10" only and fired up with the 7" turned off. All quiet. Turned on the 7" and noisy. Put the filters on the 7" and all quiet with both screens running. Did not have time to start the engine this AM. Will try that tomorrow AM.

BTW, I had previously reported that my Dynon compass display would swing 15-20 degrees whenever the Dynon pitot heater cycled on. This seems to have quieted to about 2-3 degrees now. Will try again with the engine running.

Thanks for what appears to be a good solution. Wonder if this RF noise issue is happening more in fiberglass versus aluminum aircraft?

mmarien

Murray M.
I installed the filters yesterday with the same results. I didn't wait for Dynon to let us know they were ready - would have been nice to have some notice that they were available. I purchased mine directly from L-COM.

The radio is now nice and quiet. I was flying the plane before I installed the filters and while there was background noise, transmissions and receiving was clear on my iCOM 210. It just the the backgound noise was a bit distracting. Well a bit maddening really.

Haven't been up since I installed the filters.

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
I installed the filters yesterday and the SL40 was quiet versus unusable without the filters.

The filters did cause a boot problem to significantly worsen. I had previously discovered that the Skyview would occasionally lock on startup with the master switch, if the backup battery was not fully charged. But with the filters installed it would not boot at all (partially discharged backup battery) but strangely did boot on the backup battery only. The battery was at ~10.5v. It would also boot if the backup battery was disconnected. I removed the filters and confirmed the previous behavior. After charging for several hours the Skyview boots normally with the filters installed. This behavior is not acceptable.

A second issue, I find it hard to believe that RF noise is installation specific and not the individual unit I have. I have a simple installation in an aluminum RV. If the RF noise is caused by my installation please tell me what I did wrong?

thibault

Have now flown Tucson to LA since putting in the 6 L-Com filters and all the bad noise symptoms returned. The noise started immediately on takeoff and, on most frequencies used during the next two hours. it was continuous.

This is most frustrating.

mmarien

Murray M.
I've been up a few times since I installed the filters and the radio is still very quiet (iCOM 210). I had a couple of frequencies that had a lot of backgound noise when I first installed the filters, much to my dismay, but I ajusted the squelch to get rid of the noise.

In Canada we use 123.2 for airports with no MF and 126.7 for enroute. Both of these frequencies had background noise while the frequencies for the local airport were clear when I first installed the filters. I believe that there is so much traffic on those frequencies that if you don't use squelch they are going to be noisy all the time. I used squelch to remove the background noise from these two frequencies and I still receive transmissions from hundreds of miles away so the squelch isn't blocking everything.

Speaking of that, it would be nice to have the radio from one of those turbo prop commuters. They are hundreds of miles away yet they come is so clear I always have a look around to be sure they aren't right on my butt. I suppose you can have anything if you are willing to pay for it. It seems to me that the test plane has Garmin 430's and don't have the noise problem. However, it's a big jump from $850 for the iCOM to $8500 for the Garmin.

But I digress. Did you try turning up the squelch. I'm at +4 on a scale of -10 to +10.

thibault

Yes, I have tried the squelch on the Garmin 430 with no affect before the filters. Haven't done it again since the filters because I thought all was good from the ground test. Will try that once more.

BTW my hand held ICOM breaks squelch when the antenna is anywhere inside the cockpit (with or without the filters). This is when strictly operating as a portable (no wired connection to the A/C). So this is definitely a radiated emission, despite the claims to pass radiated emission standards.

Still very frustrating.

Ron_B

Recieved our filters yesterday. Installed them this morning and RF noise is nil. It was bad before. Thanks Dynon. First flight on our RV-10 this afternoon, was good to have a quiet radio for first flight.
Ron

pbennett

Notch up another successful installation of the filters. I fitted them today and immediately got the local ground frequency back. Zero noise attributable to the SV700. Good fix Dynon.

Peter

timfwalsh01

Well,  I am certainly glad I read these posts.

I informed Dynon that I was getting feedback on my radios (GNS-430 and SL 40).  Simple test - turn radios on, then the SVs.  I would get interference on at least one of the radios.

I did receive the filters - thank you Dynon!!

I have not installed the filters (just finishing up install of second SV).  I recently noticed my GNS-430 would not pick up ATIS while on the ground (with SV on).  This was intermittent.  I did not attribute it to the SV.

I have also just noticed my SL 40 with an increase of static in the background (result of two SVs?), and the GNS-430 working.  I will install the filters this weekend and report my findings.

Great forum!!  Tim

RudiGreyling

Gents,

is this still and issue, has the recent skyviews incorporated the filters or are the external ones issues as standard now?

Rudi

timfwalsh01

Rudi,

I now have about ten hours of fight time with the filters installed.  I have no problems with bleed over now (of course I just jinxed myself!!).

Tim

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The filters are not yet built in to SkyViews, and will likely not be until next year sometime.

Since less than 5% of our SkyView customers have experienced this issue and there is a simple fix, we decided not to throw away inventory to fix this. We buy things in enough volume that next year will be the next natural break.

RICHAWK

Just add to the data bank. I had noise problems on a GNS 530 and SL30 without filters. Filters now fittted and now have no noise issues.
Good fix Dynon !

Richard