Skyview display breaker

DrewSwenson

Quick question: Skyview installation manual says this on 4-7:
Ensure that there is an appropriately rated circuit breaker or replaceable fuse on the primary power input. For a SkyView system with one display, a 5 amp circuit breaker or replaceable fuse is sufficient for the majority of installations. Reference the Power Consumption Section of the System Planning Chapter for more information."

Page 2-1 shows that the Skyview display draws 3.5 amps with the backup batt drawing another 1.5.

So isn't a 5 amp breaker (which I have) too small?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Umm, 3.5+1.5 is 5, so why is that too small?

A 5A breaker really is right for a SkyView. 3.5A is the very max a screen can draw if you have a ton of accessories powered off it, and the battery charge is usually more like 1A. We've never had a report of a SkyView tripping a 5A breaker.

But, in the end, breakers are for wires, not devices, so as long as you have big enough wires, you can use a larger breaker if you want.

pier

I love flying!
Good morning,
I have a system based on 1 skyview sv-d1000, 1 sv-320bat, sv xpndr, autopilot, sv-ems220,sv-gps250, now Iwant to install a second display with a second battery (sv-320bat). What kind of breaker I have to use? It's better to use a 5Amp breaker for each display or it's possible to use only 1 breaker of 7amp for the entire system (two displays)?
Thank you very much and excuse me for my English but I'm italian.

skysailor

Might be worth the small cost to add the second breaker for safety. If both devices are on one breaker and there is a problem in that circuit, a single breaker would take out both displays. With two breakers, only the problem circuit would be disabled.

pier

I love flying!
Thank you very much for your answer, I have another question: I was in flight when I dicided to turn off the right skyview (disply) because I was alone pushing hold button number 1. After some minutes I decided to turn on the same display and during the boot sequence appeared this message: CRITICAL ERROR: contact Dynon Avionics for support. After that I finished my flight with only one display. Once on ground I turned on all the system and everything appear ok.
What's happened?
Thank you very much for your support.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thank you very much for your answer, I have another question: I was in flight when I dicided to turn off the right skyview (disply) because I was alone pushing hold button number 1. After some minutes I decided to turn on the same display and during the boot sequence appeared this message: CRITICAL ERROR: contact Dynon Avionics for support. After that I finished my flight with only one display. Once on ground I turned on all the system and everything appear ok.
What's happened?
Thank you very much for your support.

Did you have a USB plugged into the SkyView display you powered down?

pier

I love flying!
Sorry but I didn't have any Usb plugged into skyview dispaly I powered down.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Give our tech support a ring at 425-402-0433 or an email at support@dynonavionics.com for further help with this issue.