skyview ems display

darrellpralle

I love flying!
twice while flying today the ems screen displayed a red x and the words ems failed. after a minute or two it would start working again. what gives

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If it's the entire EMS "page", we'd suspect either the wiring to the module is intermittent, or (a little less likely, in our experience), something is up with the module itself. Are you getting any messages under button 8 when it happens?

darrellpralle

I love flying!
am still having trouble with ems screen displaying a large red X and the words ems failed. have checked wiring connections. today it failed again. other times it came back on after 2 or 3 minutes, today it failed and did not come on. it had a message at button 8 that read ems fail standby network error. after landing and powering down skyview, i powered it back up and ems screen was normal

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Is it only the EMS, and never any of the other modules? That message means that one of the two pairs of the redundant SkyView Network isn't working - this is usually but not always a wiring issue. One thing you could do as a temporary measure is to use the test harness that came with your SkyView display. Any 9-pin serial cable would do too (that's what that is). Or, if you have another SkyView Network cable that you could relatively easily swap with the EMS's, that's another route to definitively check the integrity of that harness run.

darrellpralle

I love flying!
yes it only the ems. I checked thre everything I have and do not have a test harness, can not easily swap another harness. is it possible to purchase a test harness? can call me at 580-747-4475 or e-mail a darrell@pralle.org if needed.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Any 9 pin serial cable from your local electronics store will do, especially since you're in NZ. We don't have the test harnesses available individually for sale, but one does come with every display.

darrellpralle

I love flying!
installed new 9 pin serial cable this am. went flying all well for 1.3 hrs, then failed 4 times. first 3 times it came back on in less than 30 sec. the fourth time it stayed off 5 mins. I then powered down skyview and powered back up and it came on and stayed on for the duration of flight, which was another 30 min. what now?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Give our support team a ring at 425-402-0433 or support at dynonavionics dot com for further help here. Make sure to reference the testing we've done already.