Skyview + GPS175+ARINC429, glidepath indications?

lancair360

Hey y'all. Looking at installing a Garmin GPS175 so I'll have an IFR GPS. Panel is dual Dynon Skyview displays, Dynon AP and remote radios. Couple questions I can't find on search.

Will the Skyview display glidepath indications for an apporach or do I need a seperate indicator?

Does the 429 come with a cable to connect to the Skyview? I have two displays that are coupled, so I connect to one Skyview or both?

Does anyone have a 1:1 mounting template for the Garmin GPS175. I'm removing a couple things from the panel and installing the unit in their place, so a template would be super handy for planning purposes.

I did find a thread with the pin callouts for the 429 to 175 cable, but I may just have someone build the cable for me.

Thanks for the help!

Eugr

ARINC429 module connects to displays via Skynet interface, so you just need to connect it to any available SV-NET port (on the display, hub, etc). It doesn’t come with a network cable, but you can order one separately.

No need to search for threads re: connecting to Garmin 175, you can find everything in the installation manual. Page 12-8 describes connecting GTN series, so it should be the same for 175. The only difference would be using just one ARINC connection (top connections) as it doesn’t have VOR/ILS part.

If you connect everything properly, Dynon will display GPS information on HSI and GS, no need for a separate indicator. It will also integrate nicely with Dynon autopilot.

lancair360

Super, thanks for that!

Just really need a mounting template before I spend money. Thanks again!

Ricardo Godoy

nos postos de instalação do skyview, há um diagrama de conexão para o 175 x arinc429. segue a imagem.

Ricardo Godoy

in the skyview installation posts there is a connection diagram for the 175 x arinc429. follows the image.

Tim Fitz

Just installed the Garmin 175 in my RV-8A. Ordered it from Aircraft Spruce along with their 4 foot Experimental pigtail. As stated above works great with the Skyview displaying all information. Issues that I had:

1. While outside of wire bundles were clearly marked on pigtail there was no information on each wire inside. Had to try several different pin outs to get it right. Garmin had no information on the pigtail even though they made it.
2. When I ordered the G-175 went looking for the install manual. Called Garmin they said they needed the serial number before they would send me a PDF install manual. Told them I did not have the unit yet. They then said I could send them a purchase receipt. Did that and still got nothing. Unit arrived called back Garmin and got it sent to me in minutes.
3. GPS antenna wire. Did all my other wires (Transponder, Radio, etc) when I built my plane ten years ago but guess I suck at it now becasue I could not make one that worked with the Garmin unit. Fortunately a local repair shop made me one at no charge (Thanks National Flight, KTOL).
4. Downloading updates. For some reason the Garmin website did not like my lap tops. Spent many hours on the phone with the folks at Garmin who were very friendly and helpful. They even gave me 3 more months of updates as they could not figure why it would not work on my laptops. Finally got it work on my desk top. The desk top I had did not have an SD card slot. Do not buy the one in Aircraft Spruce it will not work with the SD card for the G-175. Just go to Wally World and get a $8 dollar SD card USB plug in if you do have one installed in your computer.
5. Dynon (talk to Jeff at tec support, great guy) has a 4 page cheat sheet on the G-175 connections to their ARINC 429. You must use the Dynon Arinc 429. If you try the Garmin ARINC it will knock your Skyview offline. Ask me how I know?

In the end a great upgrade to the panel. Well worth the money, time and effort. Love the fact that Garmin has a trainer that you can use on your I-pad, Computer, etc.

Cockpit 2020.jpg

lancair360

Haven’t flown with it yet because I’m down for condition inspection BUT......Garmin GPS175 installed and functioning!
Thanks for everyone’s help, wiring harness was an easy build, opening up the panel and installing was a long day but I just plugged away at it. It’s a beautiful screen and despite the dimensions the map is very readable. Great addition, love it!