Skyview HDX Doesnt Recognize latest U.S. aviation and obstacle database file (May21-June17)

sjrossi

I love flying!
I have been unable to update the aviation and obstacle databases. I have a full Dynon setup and have been very pleased with how everything installed and works, but when attempting to update the aviation and obstacle databases with the latest version (May 21-June 17, 2020), the HDX doesn't recognize the file on my USB stick. I have tried two different sticks, both of which worked in the past. I have downloaded the file numerous times, and have tried formatting the sticks and then copying the file from my "Downloads" folder to the root directory of the sticks. The HDX still doesn't recognize that file. Any help would be appreciated.

owenssonex

Just wanted to say that my chart update on my hdx1100 worked without issue. Do you see the map file as an update file or is the update option disabled?

sjrossi

I love flying!
I tried the update again with a third USB stick and it worked. On the next update I'll try one of the first two that had worked in the past and then didn't.

Thanks.

swatson999

Would you mind posting full info on the two sticks that failed? Manufacturer, size, location of manufacture, type (USB 2 or 3), etc.?

It seems this is becoming more of a problem for more people lately...would be nice if Dynon popped in to tell us what is going on, as I know several of us have sent in USB sticks that didn't work for them to try to find the cause of the problem.

jmra72a

I have been unable to update the aviation and obstacle databases. I have a full Dynon setup and have been very pleased with how everything installed and works, but when attempting to update the aviation and obstacle databases with the latest version (May 21-June 17, 2020), the HDX doesn't recognize the file on my USB stick. I have tried two different sticks, both of which worked in the past. I have downloaded the file numerous times, and have tried formatting the sticks and then copying the file from my "Downloads" folder to the root directory of the sticks. The HDX still doesn't recognize that file. Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same issue and found that I had to use the USB port in front “EFIS DATA” to make it work. Plugging my flash drive into the HDX screen directly would not recognize any files.

sjrossi

I love flying!
I originally was using the USB connector that is built in to the wiring harness of the Skyview, and it worked fine. Then I added a couple of extensions from the two USB ports on the back of the Skyview to two panel mounted ports. I cant guarantee that I've been successful updating the databases from both of those panel mounted connectors, but I have been successful loading updates from one or the other. I just haven't kept track of which port I've been using. I'll keep better notes on future updates. I'll also get data on the two thumbdrives that didn't work, but they both had worked at least once for previous updates. When I've been unsuccessful, its been because the Skyview didn't "see" the file for some reason. If the Skyview has seen the file, the update happens fine. I'm also curious if it has something to do with the procedure. For example, should the thumbdrive be plugged in before the Skyview boots up? Or, is it problematice if the Skyview boots up and you "accept" the message about the database being out of date, and then plug in the thumbdrive?

djones

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I would update everyone on the USB thumb drive issue that many have discovered. I was told today they have it fixed and it will be out in version 16.

Mooney231

I'm picking up my Mooney 231 in two weeks so I'm new to this site and don't have any hands-on experience with this issue. When you say "they have fixed it" and Version 16 - please explain who is "they" and Version 16 of what? Is this a Dynon issue or a SA issue? Sorry to waste space on this question which all of you probably know the answer to...

Also, is the SanDisk 32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 working now? There are other manufactures of these small USB sticks but I never see them mentioned in this forum.

Thanks everyone.

Lon

I think “They” are the tech folks at Dynon, and “Version 16” will be the long-awaited next version of the HDX firmware. I use a small USB stick without difficulty (hope I haven’t just jinxed myself); but I can’t tell you the brand, because it came with the plane when I bought it from the builder.

Mooney231

I think “They” are the tech folks at Dynon, and “Version 16” will be the long-awaited next version of the HDX firmware. I use a small USB stick without difficulty (hope I haven’t just jinxed myself); but I can’t tell you the brand, because it came with the plane when I bought it from the builder.
Thanks, Lon. Now I get it.

sjrossi

I love flying!
Well I updated my aviation and obstacle database today and might have discovered something. I have extended the two usb ports from the back of the HDX to the front of the panel. In one port I run with the Seattle Avionics airport and sectional databases on a tiny sandisk USB that stays plugged in all the time..except to update that database. I had the new aviation and obstacle database file on a different (physically larger) thumbdrive. I booted the HDX up, plugged in the larger thumbdrive, went into the setup menu to load the file, but the HDX didn't "See" any files on the larger thumbdrive. Just for grins, I unplugged the tiny thumbdrive, and the HDX immediately "found" the file on the larger thumbdrive, and I loaded it without a problem. Maybe, when loading a new file, there can only be one thumbdrive plugged up to the HDX, and that's the one with the new file to be loaded. Just a thought.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
That's correct - only one USB stick will be seen by SkyView at any given time. I think it's the "first in" (ie, the second will be ignored)

jnmeade

That's correct - only one USB stick will be seen by SkyView at any given time. I think it's the "first in" (ie, the second will be ignored)
I had missed this information before and it is almost certainly the reason I couldn't seem to upload Dynon databases because I always leave the Seattle sticks in the panel! Duh!

VIFlyer

I thought I would update everyone on the USB thumb drive issue that many have discovered. I was told today they have it fixed and it will be out in version 16.
when will that be ready for certified dynon? I am issues with the sandisk ultra