Skyview headset interference

rgmwa

I love flying!
What would cause the flashing warning indicators on the Skyview screen to trigger corresponding clicking noises in the headset? This occurs for example when the AP is not switched on when Skyview expects to see it on, low fuel pressure warning because the engine and fuel pump are off, maybe a Skyview calibration or backup battery check that hasn't been done yet etc. The clicks are in sync with the indicators on the screen. Any ideas?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There is a light output from the EMS module for a warning light. If this were hooked up incorrectly, you would get the behavior you describe.

Joe48041

Dynon Support, are you referring to EMS Pin 29? rgmwa has a Van's RV-12. According to Van's schematic, EMS Pin 29 is not connected. Of course there could be an error in their pre-wired harness.
Joe Gores

rgmwa

I love flying!
Just an update on the issue of the repetitive buzz/click noise I was experiencing in the headsets. Jake (Dynon Australia) responded by PM and phone to help me troubleshoot the problem. He even rang me on a Saturday evening at 10:30 pm (his time) - fantastic service! Anyway, after some experimenting (eg. engine on/engine off, different headsets, pilot/co-pilot sides, avionics on/off, A/P on/off, disconnecting the EMS etc) to try to isolate the source of the problem, I found that the noise finally stopped when I disconnected the backup battery. I re-connected it to confirm that the battery was causing the problem. To my surprise - no more noise. Connected everything back up, powered up the system several times, flipped all the switches etc and everything works fine. Don't know what the problem was - maybe something to do with micro-Molex connector, but all is well. Thanks again, Jake.

jakej

Thanks rgmwa for the feedback - it's good to hear the result of troubleshooting faults on forums as mostly people just ask the questions but we quite often don't hear what finally happened.

In your case it was just a simple matter of getting you to disconnect one item at a time (didn't need the multimeter) , that's part of the 'art'  ;). Well done!

Jake J