Skyview installation

Kestrel

I have just installed the Skyview system and have been advised (reliable and experienced engineer) to power it up on my Master switch to have it on before engine start. I an still concerned if this is a safe practice? At the moment I am just configuring the system and have not done an engine start. Also although I have checked all the GPS (Dynon) connections and configured it as per manual it is not listed on the hardware list even though I am getting the RX counter- so I am not getting any map/position etc- just a plane icon with a flashing red '?'.
Any suggestions what could be wrong?

preid

You will need to see the engine information (oil, fuel, etc) when you start the engine, so yes, you will want the Skyview powered on, unless you are using something else for engine information. Mine shuts off during start unless I have a backup battery installed, which I do, so keep that in mind as well.
Are you in a hangar or a place where there is no view of the sky? if so you will not get a GPS reception. You need to have a view of the sky for the GPS to work. I have seen my GPS receive a signal with the plane in the hangar, but not all the time and it takes a long time to get a signal.

Kestrel

Yes actually I am in a limestone/concrete garage. What is puzzling me is that the GPS is not on the hardware list! In Network set-up. I guess even without satellite reception it should still be listed, no?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The GPS is not a network device, it's a serial device, so it doesn't show up on that list. It shows up in the serial pages.

A red X on the map page means NO GPS data. A "?" means GPS data, but it doesn't have a GPS lock yet.

So you have it wired right, it just doesn't have a lock yet.

Everything in SkyView is designed to be on when the engine starts as reidvaitor mentioned.

rfazio1951

The GPS is not listed because it is serial connected to the Skyview. You will see a serial connection and serial info coming in. Hardware connected through the network wiring is what is shown on the hardware list.

preid

Push the plane outside or if you still have the 15 foot cable, the gps was attached to, move the puck outside and you should receive a GPS signal and verify all is well!

Kestrel

Thanks to all that replied and cleared my issues.

Once I move my aircraft out of my garage I should have no problems!

Thanks again