Skyview size 10" or 7"?

Lancair

Making final decisions on a VFR panel for my Lancair 360. The real estate available on the panel is barely large enough for the 10" Skyview display. The 7" fits nicely with plenty of room left over.

My concern is my old eyes will not be happy looking at a 7"display. Would love to hear comments from users flying the 7" Skyview and how you feel about the size and readability of the display in flight. I THINK I could make the 10" work but that might prove to be too large.

Comments anyone?

Thanks,

Doug

65xx

I just upgraded to one SV 1000 after flying behind the D-180 and D-100 7" units for 5 years in my RV-9A. I can display all 3 screens (40% PDF, 40% Map and 20% EMS) on the SV1000 and my 66 year old eyes are more than adequate. Bigger is better. Dan

woneill

I've flown with 2  SV-700s in my plane for 2 years now and, like you, am late 60s. I fly with bifocals. I've looked at every way I could to switch to 10" but it's impractical in my plane.

The 7" is noticeably smaller and harder to read (especially in MAP mode) than the 10". In fact there's a huge difference.

If you can make the 10" work I strongly recommend you do. You will be happier.  ;)

thibault

Strongly concur with Jaffa.

I have a 10" on pilot's side and a 7" on pax side in my Lancair 360. Put the 7" so I could have a glove box on pax side.

Wish dearly I had put the 10" there also. The 7" is no good for me except engine instruments. It is fine for the pax.

mmarien

Murray M.
Nothing wrong with a single 10" SV if that is all you can fit. The right side of the panel in my Glasair II is oriented for portrait devices so I could only fit a single 10" SV on the left side. While the 10" is very nice I would make room for a bigger screen if it was available. ;) ;)

I use a 40/40/20 split screen and once in a while I switch to 80/20 with either the MAP or the PDF plus the ENGINE. I think I would be happier with dual screens but I don't go long without switching back to 40/40/20. Everything is conveniently right there in front. With that in mind, I'm thinking a screen on the passenger side would be convenient for the passenger but I would make little use of it as it would be a reach to use it.

I don't think I would be happy with a 7" screen. I use a GPS495 as a second GPS and it has a lot of better features (more base map/cultural data) then the SV MAP. Little good they do as I can't see them on that tiny little screen.

Speaking of cultural data, it obviously ends at the SK/AB border. :cool:

CulturalData.jpg

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The cultural data doesn't end at the SK/AB border, but for some reason SK marks tons of their roads as major while AB does not. Zoom in and you'll see lots of roads in AB. Rivers and railroads don't have any issues.

All this data came direct from the Canada government like this.

mmarien

Murray M.
Interesting. The joke was that you could tell when you crossed the border by the condition of the roads, the SK side being the old dirt trail as compared to the smoothly paved AB highway. Funny that the Canadian government would consider that the roads on the SK side, while still dirt trails are significantly more important.

Just kidding of course. I'm from the SK side. I'll have a look at the zoom levels.

snowyriver

I have a 10" in front of me and a 7" in front of the pax. I'm 53 and I could not use the 7" as a primary. Not with my poor close vision. There is NO comparison! I usually split 40/40/20 also. I let the passenger play with the smaller screen if I'm not using it for engine monitoring. If you can fit the large one-you should.

dabear

My personal recommendations, not associated with any corporate government agency....

I have 3 10" displays. 2 in the front cockpit, and 1 on the back. I looked long and hard at both the 10 & 7.
1. If its a matter of cost, think about it in the long run and go 10".
2. If its a matter of space and you can get 2 7's but can't get 2 10's... go with 1 (one) 10"... .you'll be glad you did.
3. If its a matter of space and you can't get a 10" in, but you can a 7"... move something to get the 10" in.

The 7" display is not bad at all. However, 10" display is so much better for most cockpits that the cost difference and the space needed should drive your decision to the larger display.

Just my not so humble opinion. Void where prohibited, weight before cooking, mileage may vary, etc.....

mmarien

Murray M.
No. No. Dynon assures me it's there. I just have to look a little harder. ;)

Better than culture. I was at the EAA workshop at High River this spring and looked with envy at the Rockies just a few minutes to the west.

Happy flights Gerry.