Skyview Touch and D10 EMS questions

Northernliving

I love flying!
I have a 10in Skyview Touch with a D10 EMS and I have a couple of questions.

Questions 1) I'm upgrading my engine to a fuel injected IO-360 and moving from a FP to CS prop. I would like to get the % power working, so I think I'll need the OAT. I have that for the skyview, so is there any way to take the OAT info from the Skyview and get that over to the D10? I know the networks are different. It would be great have the skyview network talk to the DSAB network, but that doesn't appear possible.

Question 2) I would like to use a dimming knob to control the dimming of both the D10 and the Skyview system (one knob). Is this possible? Is there anything special about the SV-KNOB-DIMMER to make it worth $90? I really don't wan the back plate, so will any potentiometer work??

Thanks!

jakej

I have a 10in Skyview Touch with a D10 EMS and I have a couple of questions.

Questions 1) I'm upgrading my engine to a fuel injected IO-360 and moving from a FP to CS prop. I would like to get the % power working, so I think I'll need the OAT. I have that for the skyview, so is there any way to take the OAT info from the Skyview and get that over to the D10? I know the networks are different. It would be great have the skyview network talk to the DSAB network, but that doesn't appear possible.

Question 2) I would like to use a dimming knob to control the dimming of both the D10 and the Skyview system (one knob). Is this possible? Is there anything special about the SV-KNOB-DIMMER to make it worth $90? I really don't wan the back plate, so will any potentiometer work??

Thanks!
OAT -simple, just add another one to the D10.
Dimmer - same simple - a 10KoHm pot will do (very cheap)

Northernliving

I love flying!
1) Can I dim both the D10 and the skyview touch with the same 10koHm pot?
2) Not interested in adding another OAT. That's sort of an obvious solution. Fewer holes in my plane, the better, and crawling in the back of an RV8 and running a wire to the front isn't all that fun. Can I leverage the Skyview OAT probe?

jakej

1) Can I dim both the D10 and the skyview touch with the same 10koHm pot?
2) Not interested in adding another OAT. That's sort of an obvious solution. Fewer holes in my plane, the better, and crawling in the back of an RV8 and running a wire to the front isn't all that fun. Can I leverage the Skyview OAT probe?
1. I was mistaken (unless Dynon says otherwise) - its been a while since I did an install with a legacy unit & looking through the install manual there appears to be no provision for external dimming.
2. no need to crawl in the back, just run the 2 wires for the OAT (GP input) to the underside of a wing. I've never bothered to do what you ask.

Northernliving

I love flying!
Thanks for your input Jake. Would really like to leverage existing hardware in the plane rather than adding additional OAT's. Hopefully Dynon will Comment.

There seems to be dimming functionality in the D10. Need to understand it better.

From the install manual:
Dimmer mode function is generally used only by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). In dimmer mode, the output of EMS DB37 Pin 29 is a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) signal proportional to the screen brightness setting of the Dynon instruments. To configure EMS DB37 Pin 29 for dimmer mode, enter the EMS menu by pressing any button beneath an EMS main page. Press MORE > SETUP > GLOBAL. Press DOWN▼ to select ALARM CONFIG and select LGT BHVR: DIM OUTPT

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the deal with the EMS-D10 is that it can output PWM signal in proportion to its screen setting. But you still need to dim via its buttons - it can not accept an external dimming input signal. IE, it doesn't have a way to respond to SkyView's dimmer output.

That said, I think you could hook up the EMS-D10's brightness output to SkyView's input (with some configuration), but you'd still need to adjust everything with the EMS-D10. If it were me, I'd probably let SkyView do its own diming, and then adjust the EMS-D10 manually.

Northernliving

I love flying!
Thanks for your help/answer on the dimmer question.

You didn't comment if there is any way to grab the OAT from the skyview system for the D10 EMS.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
No way I know of to get the SV OAT info to the D10. You will need to have separate OAT's for each.