SkyView Touch AP - wings rock side-to-side, I also get roll-slip very easily.

spgreen@gmx.net

I love flying!
Hi. I have SkyView touch with Dynon autopilot and servos. It's great. I have 2 small issues with the AP:

(1) When it's holding a steady heading the wings don't stay level, it slowly rolls from side-to-side, especially when there's a crosswind .. i.e. one wing drops a bit .. then the AP compensates and it rolls to the other side .. and then back. If I put a little pressure on the stick I can prevent it but that's not really the idea of 'autopilot'. Does anyone have an idea what to adjust to make the AP a bit 'tighter' and stop it rolling side to side ? All the functions of the SkyView seems to be just fine.

(2) It reports 'roll slip' very easily i.e. even when there's not much wind. This was not always the case. Previously it only did that in really strong winds. I have not changed any configuration, but the flaps system in the aircraft has been modified recently, which I suppose may have disturbed the AP setup. Any way to make the roll servo more authorative ?

If anyone with some experience can advise, I'd be very grateful.

Steevo

RV8JD

I would suggest updating to the latest version of the SkyView system software (v16.4.4), if you haven't already, and go through the latest version of the Autopilot In-Flight Tuning Guide, linked below:

Note that Page 10 includes roll tuning troubleshooting issues and actions. It lists the ROLL SLIP issue and the aircraft slowly wanders in heading issue (i.e., aircraft slowly oscillates in roll) that you mentioned.

Last edited:

spgreen@gmx.net

I love flying!
Hi RV8JD,

Thanks for that. I'll go through the tuning procedure and see if it helps. Will report back here on the result.

Regards

tcbc8222

Check your servo cable. I have had cable slippage twice. This will cause a back and forth roll as the servo isn't holding the cable tight. Make sure you have someone help tighten the servo cable onto your rigging. Also, torque the bolts on the clamps. If this continues, you will need to remove your servo and check for a shear screw issue. I had a shear screw break but it was such that the servo was still operational until it no longer was able to turn the servo.
Good luck on this one. It drove me nuts for a weekend.

spgreen@gmx.net

I love flying!
I checked the servo function together with a mechanic and we found out that it's basically broken ... offers little to no force from the motor. I think it's been getting weaker bit by bit over time, so wasn't so easy to notice initially. Am sending it for repair. Thanks to those who answered the post.