Skyview Touch Joystick short?

TomSwift

I love flying!
New problem started in last two days two weeks after replacing Ducati VR with a Silent Hektik VR in an RV-12 with a Rotax 912 ULS . I don't know if related, however.

Scenario #1
  1. Turn on Master and Skyview does not boot.
  2. Fiddle with port-side or pilot side or left joystick and see a brief flash of light on screen and on autopilot and on AP Knob panel. followed by darkness
  3. Skyview then boots, except most of the time, the buttons on the bottom of the display do not function, but the Touch does.
  4. Fiddle with same joystick and system will either display "Hold down to power off" and fiddling with joystick cause it to reboot; OR...
  5. Fiddling with joystick may cause it to go off them back on.
Scenario #2
  1. With Master off and Skyview powered down, fiddling with joystick causes system to come back on, with no way to turn it off.
  2. However, fiddling with joystick may cause it to go off.
  3. Or, turn the Master on, then off, and get the Power Off option. Click or touch that and it powers down.
As far as I can determine, Skyview will no longer boot after turning on the Master switch unless I fiddle with the left joystick.

DBRV10

Get an RMA number and send it in. Sounds like somebody has given it a good knock with their foot when getting in or out. They are very robust but not indestructible :)

TomSwift

I love flying!
I did find the plastic knob itself on the floor of the aircraft the other day after my partner flew it!

But how would a damaged switch cause this? An internal short to the b/u battery?

DBRV10

I did find the plastic knob itself on the floor of the aircraft the other day after my partner flew it!

But how would a damaged switch cause this? An internal short to the b/u battery?

There is your sign.......... No idea what it is doing. It really matters not. It needs to be repaired.

TomSwift

I love flying!
Dynon confirmed David Brown's assumption that the issue was related to a good foot-knock on the joystick knob. Has anyone found a way to protect the joystick knob from errant kicks by clumsy pilots boarding an RV-12? I just spent $450 on an out-of-warranty repair related to damage to the circuit board from forceful being of the joystick knobs. Please don't tell me to avoid kicking it. I have a partner in advanced age who struggles to get in and out and I'm wondering about a way to protect it. I doubt he ever uses the joystick, and neither do I.

jakej

Tom - send a picture of your panel as I have a simple cost effective method to prevent future damage, depending on your panel layout of course.

XPRSAV8R

Perhaps cover your panel with a thick, foam pad (you could always use something like a moving blanket). The idea is to spread the load of anything impacting your panel. This mitigates (not prevents) jolts to a specific point. Spreading the impact will dissipate the energy better or to harmless areas.

I would check out the molded foam used to package/ship electronics. Having the right size could just slip onto shelves, knobs, buttons, etc. and help.