Skyview upgrade

mataylor

Currently have a D180 with Garmin 300 for navigation and I'm going to upgrade to the skyview. I want to to have IFR capability and be able to fly GPS, VOR or shoot the ILS if I need to. Do I need to have a Garmin navigation system like the 300 and then include the SL30 for com and ILS. Does Skyview have data for enroute nav? As you can tell I'm just beginning the process of upgrading my RV-8. Would love to hear suggestions.

hstaton

You may want to consider Val Avionics. He says that his radios speak digital to the Skyview just like the SL-30. I just bought one of his radios (Val Nav-2KR), but have not tested it in flight yet, since I am more than a year away. The reason I bought the 2KR is because it is a complete remote radio. His more conventional radios are panel mount. YMMV!

DonFromTX

I love flying!
The SL30/Skyview combination is pretty fantastic, gives you an HSI and a glideslope on the Skyview, and freq interchange between the Skyview and the nav and com.

lindsayj

I want to to have IFR capability and be able to fly GPS, VOR or shoot the ILS if I need to.

Mr. Taylor: For what it's worth: I've been flying IFR in my RV-8A with Garmin GNS 430 (upgraded to 430w) since October 30, 2001. It provides IFR legal WAAS GPS, VOR, ILS and an excellent VHF 360 channel radio and has served me well. I first upgraded the six pack to D10A about 4 years ago and then upped to SkyView 1000 in 2011 keeping the D10A for basic instrument backup. I now have a legal IFR GPS nav system with an awesome autopilot that couples to ILS and VNAV glideslopes beautifully, and IFR approach plates on the SV screen. I haven't put ADSB in yet since I use Foreflight and Baron Link for XM weather on an iPad Mini. As you know the RV-8 is a marvelous flying machine and with the systems described above it is also a wonderful Instrument platform. If you'd like to see the panel, shoot me an email and I'll send pics. There are not enough words to describe how good the Dynon equipment and customer support is. Combined with the Garmin GNS it makes for pure joy. Bottom line is I recommend you consider the Garmin 430W as an alternative to the SL30 because of the GPS. Used market is pretty reasonable I hear. Jack L.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You may want to consider Val Avionics. He says that his radios speak digital to the Skyview just like the SL-30. I just bought one of his radios (Val Nav-2KR), but have not tested it in flight yet, since I am more than a year away. The reason I bought the 2KR is because it is a complete remote radio. His more conventional radios are panel mount. YMMV!

Sam,
The Val 2KR is a remote only Nav radio. That means all tuning and volume control needs to be done from the EFIS. Currently SkyView doesn't allow you to tune a NAV radio unless the frequency you want is in the database, and most ILS frequencies are not. We also offer no way to adjust volume nor mute/unmute the audio. So you may find the use of that product to be limited with SkyView. We hope to offer more support in the future, but we can't make any promises when that will be.

Mataylor,
The SkyView GPS can only be used in VFR conditions. If you are VFR enroute, then it is an awesome map. If you are IFR, it's still a great map, but legally you need to be using something else as your primary navigation. If you are OK flying airways VOR to VOR, then you can use a NAV as your primary and GPS as a reference, but you can't file direct-to anywhere.

molljw

Jack,
I am just getting started wiring my Garmin 430W and ARINC for the Skyview and have a question. Did you wire power to P4006 pin 44? Not sure I need to but don't want to not wire it and something not work between the Dynon ARINC and the 430W. Quote from the 430W installation manual "A power connection on P4006-44 is only required if NAV SUPERFLAG and/or G/S SUPERFLAG is
utilized" so not sure this gets back to Dynon.

Thanks,
John

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Superflags are only used for analog indicators. You do not need to power this pin if all you are using is SkyView.