Skyview WiFi intermittent no communication.

Stewart

By the way..... ver. 16.4 did NOT fix my problem. Still have the poor/non existent wifi connection.
Hardware ver. 4 seems to be the problem.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I purchased a new WiFi adapter from Dynon about a month ago. This past weekend it did it again. Foreflight lost all comm with the Skyview, with no errors. Just stops updating. Exactly as before. So, the problem is not the WiFi adapter. It is something in Skyview. The fix was to disable the WiFi in Skyview, then Re-enable WiFi.

I believe this is a software bug that surfaced 16.3

Stewart

This has been going on a bit long now. I got an email back from Dynon in mid Dec22 suggesting 16.5 was on the way with a fix. Have any of you guys contacted them?

kurtfly

I love flying!
That's funny because when I spoke to Dynon for help with this a few months ago he said this was not a know issue. That is why I bought a new WiFi adapter.

Taigajoe

I upgraded last week from D700 with 16.4.0 to HDX800 HW4 SN31185 with 16.4.0.
With the D700 I had no problems regarding wifi connection, with HDX800 one interruption is followed by the next one.
It doesn’t matter if I use an IPad or Android tablet.
I informed Dynon about this issue.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I believe there is still a WiFi issue that started with the introduction of 16.3. I have Skyview 1000T classic, single screen with ADSB and IFD 540. Running Skyview 16.4.0. I see on occasion (1 of 10) flights, after about 30 mins of normal operation, all data over WiFi ceases. No errors, no indications that anything is wrong except the track stops and weather no longer updates. If you have two iPads connected they both experience this. iPad shows it is still connected to Skyview. The only way to get things going again is to go into Skyview setup menu and disable WiFi. Then re enable WiF.
I purchased a new WiFi adapter and last week it happened again. In my opinion, It is most likely a Skyview software problem.

pnwpilot

I love flying!
Thanks Stewart and much appreciated for the quick response. Unfortunately, my 10" HDX displays are prior to hardware version 4. Despite the claim of displays outside the specified serial number range not being affected, I am experiencing this problem. I'll report this to support.

Same here. My serial # are in the 11000-12000 range and still experience the random WiFi disconnect from time to time. Turning WiFi off and on inflight restores the connection but obviously not an ideal situation to say the least.

djones

Administrator
Staff member
So we are still working on a fix for this issue. The earlier fix was primarily for the new hardware screens. (HWV4) It did not totally resolve
the issue. 16.5 is still being worked on and this fix is slated to be in there baring any new surprises with it. Bear with us here, it has not
been an easy bug to squash.

Alto

So we are still working on a fix for this issue. The earlier fix was primarily for the new hardware screens. (HWV4) It did not totally resolve
the issue. 16.5 is still being worked on and this fix is slated to be in there baring any new surprises with it. Bear with us here, it has not
been an easy bug to squash.
I’m having this problem too. I’ve already spent time and money trying to resolve it before stumbling on this thread. My ForeFlight log book enters are incomplete due to the dropped connections.

I had a SureFly EIS in my plane. It would shutdown repeatedly in flight. It was interpreting the voltage it was receiving as a lightning strike, and was shutting itself down and restarting in-flight. The company knew about this problem, but failed to notify its customers. I spent time and money trying to run that problem down too. I returned the system and will never buy anything from that company again, because of how the issue wasn’t communicated. Much like Dynon’s WiFi, I learned about it from other users on a bulletin board.

lancair360

Hopefully we get 16.5 this year and that fixes the bug. I had it on my 7” skyview screen and again on two brand new HDX screens. When it says skyview has disconnected on the iPad the aircraft position jumps back to the hangar. Wi-Fi still connected and traffic still on the screen. A few seconds later position resumes with no action on my parts. Usually accompanied by a traffic alert cuz it sees itself as traffic while it’s getting its shit together. But again, mine always fixed itself. Haven’t run a timer but it was probably 3 times an hour or so these past couple days. Thankfully it resets so it’s a nuisance. Anything other issues I just force close ForeFlight and relaunch and I’m good to go.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
16.5 (which should release soon) does indeed have some improvements to Wi-Fi, which will hopefully help with some of the issues that have been reported.

RB-RV9A

My ForeFlight gives me the message, "skyview has disconnected" every time i fly. I have dual HDX

Mentor

I've got dual 10" HDXx and foreflight on an IPAD mini. Same as above, drops off after 10 to 15 minutes, IPAD screens freezes. Only way to fix is to reboot HDX--not a good idea while flying. I just installed some USB extension cords so I can unplug the adapters and then plug back in-=-works on ground, waiting to try in the air. Contacted Dynon technical support and they mentioned new system software "later this year" and offered to send two of their new WIFI adapters. Still waiting for adapters after two weeks. Previous post mentioned that new adapters won't fix the problem. Otherwise, the system has been great.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I just upgraded my classic to the HDX and confirm the problem is worse on the HDX. The WiFi drops out are common occurrence. Also see Foreflight give message “Unable to connect to Skywiew”. As before, the fix is to disable WiFi on Skyview and re-enable.

PT10400

Hi All,
HDX 10 and 7"

I'm new to the foreflight - Dynon connection but the problem started occurring right from the beginning.
One temp fix I discovered (as someone already mentioned a few posts back) is to force close foreflight on the ipad and restart it. This works for anywhere from 30 - 60 min.
It did seem to work better (for long periods that is) if I force closed foreflight and restarted compared to how long/well it worked from start up.

Something I haven't tried yet is to turn the wifi connection off on the ipad while starting up, then only start the connection and foreflight after the dynons were up and running.

I will try that next flight.

RV8JD

On Apr 14, 2023 Dynon posted: 16.5 (which should release soon) does indeed have some improvements to Wi-Fi, which will hopefully help with some of the issues that have been reported.
Dynon, is there an update on the estimated release date of v16.5?

PT10400

I haven't updated to 16.5 yet but the other day when out for a 2 hour flight my Ipad had no disconnect issues (HDX). Not sure why everything is working normally now. Will update if it fails again.
16.5 is definitely right around the corner (if it's not publicly released already)