SL30 test mode and Skyview HSI

kerstensa

My plane is in the workshop and I just finished my panel installation incl. two Skyview 7" screens and an SL30. I believe I have configured the Skyview screens and the SL30 correctly to talk over the serial line (1). When I put the SL30 in test mode and test the CDI and flags functionality, should I be able to see this on the Skyview's HSI? At the moment nothing is displayed, so just want to make sure if this should work.

Thanks
Andre

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't have an SL30 hooked up to be able to test this quickly. It's possible that the test outputs are only sent over the analog outputs and not the serial though. Any SL30 owners out there have any info?

dabear

When I was testing the install of the SL30, I tried testing the flags/CDI. It did NOT work or did NOT show anything on the HSI. However, the SL30 was/is working with my SV.

I put it down to figuring it only worked with a slaved indicator.

kerstensa

Thanks. Is there any other way of testing the SL30 serial connection to the SV? Would be nice before I rivet on the top skin and access to the radios will be more difficult.

Thanks

dabear

You can look at the data stream information on the serial line. When you hook up the serial line you can then see counters incrementing. note, there will be errors. But if it is incrementing then you should have a good indication that you are connected.

sandaville

The SL30 install manual states the following:-

Note: No serial test messages are sent in the Setup Mode while testing CDI and GSI flags.

I can't remember if that means only the RS232 flags will not work in setup mode of if that means no HSI RS232 data in setup mode period. I'm curious now, so I will be checking this functionality the next time i'm working with an SL30. Its poor from Garmin if it does not support basic testing of the CDI/GSI functions in test mode if you happen to be using an EFIS or EHSI.

kerstensa

It's definitely both. I tried both the flag tests and the CDI/HSI tests, but didn't see anything on the SV.

klindell

I believe the background of the testing is to be able to detect that analog / flag signals are not disconnected/not working.
While working via serial line, the interface is already monitored on protocol level and no testing is needed.
So you do not need to worry about the testing between SV and SL30 as if it is not, you will be notified.

kerstensa

Hi Kalle,

what do you mean by "you will be notified"? If the serial connection would not be working how does the SV notify the pilot?

Thanks
Andre

klindell

I believe that SV will draw red X over NAV/VOR info if there is timeout from SL30 receiver.
Dynon support, can you confirm this?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If SkyView isn't seeing the SL30, that Nav source will have its IDENT and FREQ display "----", and the CDI and course needle will disappear. In short, it's very apparent that you have the correct nav source selected, but that there isn't any data there.

kerstensa

Still confused about this. With the SL30 switched on I see "----" on the IDENT and FREQ display and no needle. Of course my plane is still in the workshop so I can't tune in to a VOR. Will the SV only see the SL30 data on the serial line when the SL30 is tuned in to a VOR? If that is the case I guess I'll have to wait with testing this until the plane is in the air. Would be nice to be able to do it beforehand though now that all the wiring is still easily accessible.

Thanks,
Andre

dabear

If your shop and the mechanic have access to test gear you can send the VOR data to the SL30 and then check the SV. We did that to my CJ when testing the installation and were able to test connection and actual display of ILS.

jakej

It's only 3 wires from SL30 to SV ie TX,RX & signal ground - get that & setup right it WILL work. ;)

Don't forget to set the 'Resolver' to none in the SL30.

Jake J