slip/skid ball

zimzeus

How accurate is the slip/skid ball representation on my Flight DEK D-180 ? The reason I ask is that my RV-8 flys very nice at 1/2 ball out of center to the right, when I apply slight right rudder to center the ball the airplane can no longer be flown hands-off, ie, I need to apply constant aileron to hold wings level.

Thankx

Zman

khorton

If the aircraft is the ground, with tail lifted to put it in a normal level flight attitude, and leveled left to right, what does the slip ball show?  If the aircraft is leveled left to right, the slip ball should be in the middle.  If it is, then it is correct.  If not, then it is in error (or the EFIS needs to be rotated in the panel).

Many RVs require some tweaking of aileron rigging, or aileron trailing edge radius in order to fly hand off.   See this info on Van's web site.

N941WR

Zman,

I have a traditional ball mounted directly below my D100 and they match 100%. So at least in my installation, the D100 is right on the ball. ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
khorton's advice is basically correct. The ball is calibrated at the factory and if it's off, either the EFIS is slightly tilted in the panel, or the EFIS is slightly out of calibration (not impossible, but extremely rare).

A good test would be to put a digital level on the EFIS bezel and see what it reads. Or, pull the EFIS out of the panel and see what the ball does on a known level surface.

In short - the slip/skid ball should be as accurate as the horizon, which is to say, very! If it's not, we'd need to have the unit back for a look.