Splitting DSAB wires to two servos

nwetter

I love flying!
What is the preferred method of splitting the Dynon bus, power, etc. wires to go to the separate roll and pitch servos? I can think of any number of ways to do it, but what is the "right way"?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I'm not sure that there's single right way. The SkyView Network wires just need to be split, end of story. BUT, the power wires are more complicated in that they get ship's power, and that you need to size your wires, if you're splitting them upstream of a servo - to be able to carry the appropriate amount of current. Using our servo harnesses can help you sort out the power wires so that you don't accidentally try to power your servos from the SkyView Network power lines (which are only meant for other modules like the ADAHRS / EMS.

nwetter

I love flying!
I'm using the harness from Dynon, which includes 20 ga. wires for power which should be plenty based on the ampacity charts that I found. I think the easiest and cleanest way to split would be to daisy chain the connectors. That is, to put two wire ends into the same pin. Is there any reason not to do it that way? This is for an experimental.

jakej

This is what I do, depending on the aircraft type & location of the ADAHRS -
Buy 1 x a/pilot servo harness for the roll servo & use it to go all the way to the instrument panel area.
Aft mounted pitch servo & ADAHRS -
Use a local airframe ground point if it’s an aluminium airframe.
Run the 20g power wire to its own (each servo has a separate power circuit) circuit breaker
/switch.
Add the cws/ disconnect wire
Splice into the 4 x network wire that also go to the aft ADAHRS unit.
Basically make sure the power wires are separate from the network power circuit & that’s it. As DS said, there is no single right way.
Ps- I use the dsub connectors, much more integrity than the simple molex type IMO.

Last edited:

Raymo

I love aviation!
That is, to put two wire ends into the same pin. Is there any reason not to do it that way? This is for an experimental.

The max wire size for a DB-9 pin is 20 gauge, so putting two wires in one pin would not be possible unless you cut some of the strands from each wire. I'd suggest either soldering or butt splicing to join the wires. Dynon sells a harness splitter, which would make this easier. I opted to run a separate AP harness back to the Dynon hub and feed power in at that point.

Last edited: