Standby Network Error - Connection Fault 4/8

rogersmart

I have a caution stating "Standby Network Error".   Attached are 2 screen shots.

The first screenshot is the Network status page showing "Connection Fault: 4/8", the error is located below Servo SN 1371 and above Servo SN 1543.  From this page I am assuming the error tells me that the Servo 1371 is not communicating with the screen on the standby network since the error is locate below that servo line.

The second screenshot is Servo status page showing Servo 1371 is the pitch servo.   So combining the information of the two screens I would assume I have a connection problem on terminal 4 or 8 of the PITCH servo 1371. 

I share the pitch servo network wire to the rear of the plane with the AHRS in the same harness.  Since the AHRS does not have the error, I would assume the error is located between the AHRS/Servo split and the Servo.

Are my assumtions correct?  Since the AHRS does not show the error, does that eliminate the portion of the standby network circuit that is shared?

Thanks
Roger Smart

network_status.jpg

servo_status.jpg

cperry

I had the same error, with a similar routing of my skyview network cables. I had the 4 & 8 pins reversed at the servo, switched them back, and all was good.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Correct! Nice combining of those two screens' status, by the way!

NASA515

I love flying!
I'm installing SV on an RV-12. I have those Connection Fault 4/8 messages on both servos. It also says both servos are "ready"

First, Pin 8 is not used on the RV-12. There is no Pin 8 wiring. Second, I have double checked (today) the continuity of both servo Pin 4's to the Vans 50000A control box. Both have excellent continuity to the pins on the plugs shown on the RV-12 Wiring Diagram.

All seems well - except for the Fault messages.

What should I do - if anything?

Bob Bogash
N737G

NASA515

I love flying!
Thanks, Daniel. Yes, I received the Vans Advisory and complied with it shortly after receipt. I'll recheck the pin terminations again today.

Bob Bogash
N737G

NASA515

I love flying!
Update - went in to the connector and found the wires were mis-terminated. I had swapped the wires at the pins 4 and 5, and not pins 3 and 4. It remains unclear if they were delivered misterminated in the harness, or whether I had some finger problems. In any event, I moved them to the proper pins and thereafter, the connection error messages were gone. All is good.

As an offshoot to this discussion and the Vans pin switch to accommodate the SV 4.0 release - does this mean that future Dynon firmware updates are going to reverberate into airplane wiring revisions? If so - why???

Bob Bogash
N737G
Wiring and Instrument Panel completed yesterday - 28 Oct 2012. Finally!

timfwalsh01

OK,

I have had this error for quite some time,  I only started researching a problem with my ARINC module. 

When I turn on the Skyview/ARINC using master switch - no issues.  ARINC red light blinks.  When I turn on all the rest of the avionics, the ARINC goes off line.  I check the ground/power - no issues.

Two questions:
  Is it possible the two are related? (I get the same Standby Network error message).
  Does this only apply to Van's supplied harnesses?  (I got mine from the factory).

Thanks  Tim

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The short answer to your questions are:

Possibly - the fact that there's something going on with a module working correctly when master power is connected and the fact that your system is reporting a wiring configuration error may be related. I'm wondering whether you've got autopilot servo power going to the ARINC module somehow, such that when you have the master power turned off, the wires that are connected correctly are able to allow proper communication between the ARINC module and the display, but when master is on power is getting injected in the ARINC module through one of the mis-wired pins. What do you see on the ARINC led light when it goes offline?

No, we've seen SkyView Network wiring issues in various aircraft. It's a lot less common when our pre-fabbed harnesses are used, but there have been a couple of cases where a wire has broken on our pre-made harnesses.

Also, are you saying that you're getting the 4/8 error on the ARINC module as well as the above behavior? The 4/8 errors does imply that there's at least something going on with the wiring to the module.

timfwalsh01

Dynon,

When the ARINC goes offline, the red light goes out.

The 4/8 error is the same as the above, on both servos.

This weekend I shall check the pins on the Dynon supplied servo harnesses, and report back!!  Tim

plea1949

I love flying!
Since I have installed the latest Dynon Skyview version 7.0 I now get a caution stating "Standby Network Error" message which I never had before the upgrade. This appeared immediately after the installation and the strange thing is the message is intermittent ie it comes and goes!!

paul330

I am getting the same 4/8 error on my ARINC429 module after the upgrade to 7.0. It is connected directly to the network via a Dynon "Y" branch so there shouldn't be any wiring error. Haven't had a chance to check the continuity yet.

plea1949

I love flying!
Paul, I just realised that I also swapped out the server to a SV52 at the same time and I now believe that I might need to swap pin 4 and 8. I will give feedback after I have done this!!

Peter

timfwalsh01

Dynon,

It appears I do not have the redundant network hooked up to my servos.  When I installed the servos for the D10, it was not necessary.  I now understand why I get the Connection 4/8 error.

However, my ARINC module goes offline when I turn on the avioincs master.  Is it possible these are related.

I still receive a GPS signal from my 430W on the HSI, but not the NAV.

Make sense?  Tim

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So just so everyone knows - version 4.0, which was released Aug 2012, added monitoring/detection/alerting of the redundant network. Previously, although we told you to wire those wires, if they were wired incorrectly, you'd never know it. Just one of the benefits of continuous SkyView software upgrades. So the bottom line is - if you upgraded and are now seeing that message, the redundant SkyView Network was never actually connected properly.

As for the ARINC issue, Tim, that's a bit bizarre. I wouldn't expect the one to lead to the other, but, my advice is to first get all of your SkyView Network wiring issues sorted out, and then see if your other issue persists.

ricardo_godoy

I love flying!
hello Dynon.
on my last flight. one standy by network error message appears.
the autopilot was disconnected, and no other indication not appeared. disappeared after a few minutes.
I installed with version 10.
this warning has appeared before, without telling details.
How should I proceed?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It means one of your SkyView Network cables has an intermittent or broken wire. SkyView has redundant data paths in those cables (two pairs of two wires that back each other up), and so this doesn't create any loss of functionality when you have such a wiring problem. But you should still fix it. You won't be able to tell which wire it is when it's not happening, but when it is, you can go into into SETUP MENU > NETWORK SETUP > NETWORK STATUS to see where SkyView is seeing the problem. It will show the problem by the module (or display) that is actually seeing the problem electrically, and that information can help you home in on the actual wire that has the issue.