Suggestion For Thermocouple Connectors???

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
I am using the barrel type thermocouple connectors and the other day whilst walking through the hangar I saw a new-ish Cessna and it had yellow connectors for the thermocouple wires.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion for the best quick connect (and reliable) thermocouple connectors for the CHT and EGT connectors???

THANKS

Attachments

• IMG_20171106_100544.jpg
    IMG_20171106_100544.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 297

jakej

The yellow ones will work just fine however you’ll need to cut the existing push on ( female) terminals off - just a little bit more work .
Personally I just use the AMP brand push on spades with a good crimper- no real issues with them & use a good contact cleaner/lube spray, I’ve done many installations- others Opinions will vary ;)

kellym

I love flying!
I am using the barrel type thermocouple connectors and the other day whilst walking through the hangar I saw a new-ish Cessna and it had yellow connectors for the thermocouple wires.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion for the best quick connect (and reliable) thermocouple connectors for the CHT and EGT connectors???

THANKS
I won't call them a quick connect, but the most reliable I have found are the EI Overlap connectors:
They have eliminated several intermittent problems I had with spade connectors. They are small enough that you could reinforce with heat shrink tubing if desired. Fixed problems I had with the EI red cube fuel flow supplied with my Dynon system.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
>but the most reliable I have found are the EI Overlap connectors:

Thanks Kelly...Those are the ones I am using and I do reinforce them with heat shrink tubing and it is a pain each time I remove them.

>I just use the AMP brand push on spades with a good crimper-

Yup...that was Plan A and I had issues with unreliable EGT so after a call to tech support I tried the EI WIRE OVERLAP guys...I love it when the little Allen screw falls out

DBRV10

The EI Overlap is what I use. They just work.

Jake uses AMP terminals (as do I for everything else) and my reasoning for not using them on the thermocouples is they are damned near impossible to remove if you have to change a probe. Now that is a good feature, because the AMP terminals really do grip very well. However once removed they are slightly compromised, and do not grip as well the second or third time. Which means cutting them off. They are very hard to separate and usually require tools not fingers. EI Overlaps are easier to remove and reinstall, the down side is dropping the tiny grub screw...... :-0

So they are the two most reliable choices, either work great. The OLC's are a lot dearer, per connection, and I buy them 100-150 at a time.

Jrskygod

The EI Overlap is what I use. They just work.

Jake uses AMP terminals (as do I for everything else) and my reasoning for not using them on the thermocouples is they are damned near impossible to remove if you have to change a probe. Now that is a good feature, because the AMP terminals really do grip very well. However once removed they are slightly compromised, and do not grip as well the second or third time. Which means cutting them off. They are very hard to separate and usually require tools not fingers. EI Overlaps are easier to remove and reinstall, the down side is dropping the tiny grub screw...... :-0

So they are the two most reliable choices, either work great. The OLC's are a lot dearer, per connection, and I buy them 100-150 at a time.
I have just been trimming the Dynon connectors off the end of the probe wiring and have been using DSUB pins for many years now covered with two layers of heat shrink. Cheap, quick, easy to install. Use a good quality crimper to insure good connections.

mrdaud

I have posted these before, but it has been a while. I had all sorts of trouble with the Dynon provided connectors, and finally went to what I used professionally years ago (non-aircraft). They can be purchased from Omega Engineering, are about $4 each, and are reusable, and quick connect/disconnect. They are specifically made for thermocouples. They are about 1/2" wide. One of the best mods I've ever done. Zero thermocouple/connector issues since conversion. https://www.omega.com/en-us/search/?text=SMPW-CC-K-M

Attachments

• Connectors.JPG
    Connectors.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 186