Super-bright display worthwhile?

jim

I am getting ready to order an EFIS D100 and wondering if I should go with the $200 optional Super-bright display. I called Dynon tech support and they said over 50% of the orders are now for the new brighter display. Has anybody seen both displays in bright and/or dim ambient light. Is it worth the extra $200?

13brv3

Hi Jim,

The answer to this might depend on what you plan to install the Dynon in. If it's going to be in direct sunlight, such as in an RV aircraft with a bubble canopy, the decision is a no brainer. If it will be shaded at all times by a roof, then you might be able to get away with the standard display.

If you can spare the extra $200, then I'd recommend the super-bright display in either case.

Cheers,
Rusty (D-180 super-bright flying in an RV-8)

jim

It's going to go into an Aerocomp CA4. It's a high wing with a roof and a glare shield so maybe the less expensive display would be fine.

meljordan

I had the old displays in an RV-6 here in Arizona and found them just fine, even in direct sunlight. I now have the new brighter displays, and they are better in direct sun, but it is not a super dramatic change. Anyway, in a high wing plane with a decent glare shield, I am sure you will be happy with the standard display.

Best Regards,
Mel Jordan
Tucson

jim

Thanks. I think I'll go ahead and get the cheaper display and save a few bucks. At least for now I can upgrade for $200 at a later date.

yak55

I had the original D100 / D120 displays in my Glasair. I found about 90% of the time the brightness was great. The 10% time I wish I had brighter displays was when on a bright sunny days, I would look across my panel in a side angle to the D120 EMS and found it all but washed out and I needed to shade it with my hand to see my engine info. I also have competitor EFIS installed just below my D100 EFIS. This competitor EFIS has an 800 nit display. 800 nit brightness is the same as the brighter Dynon option. The original displays are only 400 nits. The 800 nit dispay never washes out. Now flash back in time, to Osh this past summer, to be pleasantly surprised that Dynon has a brighter option and they had (2) D100's on display for comparison, one with the brighter display and the other with the normal display. I must say I was sold. Dynon’s booth was near the hangar side doors with bright sunshine beaming through giving the displays, in my opinion, a more to true life sun wash out test. I viewed the displays from a side angle and it was a no-brainer. Well worth $400 ($200 x 2). I upgraded both D100 and D120 displays. The brighter displays are being install in my Glasair this week after my panel come back from the paint shop. I will have a fight review soon.
Regards,
Mike Carroll
Glasair II-S RG

jimburkejr

I ordered my plane (a Flight Designs CTSW) back in September and asked to spec the plane with the 800-nits brighter display. I was wondering if there is a way to tell if it does in fact have the brighter display? Is there a serial number or an external number that designates the diplay is the brighter display?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
On the back of the unit there is a serial number sticker that also has a part number that is 100XXX-00Y. If the part number ends in -001 it's a bright screen, if the part number is -000 it's a standard screen.

jim

Update: I bought the older 400-nit display and installed it but was disappointed in how dim it was. It is being upgraded to the brighter display now. When I get it back and fly it I'll let you know if it is significantly brighter than the original.

Rick

I just ordered the D100 with the Super-Bright display from Aircraft Spruce. I got the package today. The packing list says that the Super-Bright option is on backorder?

The unit in the box has a part number of 100488-000. Dynon shows the D100 with the brighter screen as part number 100533-001. I assume that I got the normal version that probably also needs a software update?

Rick

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The -000 does mean that you have a regular brightness screen. Overall, our products are backordered, both super-bright and not, by about 8 weeks at the moment. Obviously dealer availability will vary, as different dealers will have orders queued up at different points. To get the super-bright screen, you can either give us a call to have your delivered unit back for the upgrade, or work with Spruce to return your unit to them and wait for a super-bright version.

The super-bright vs regular screen selection does not impact the software though. They're literally identical. What firmware version you have on your unit is directly and solely determined by when it left the factory. Anything that has left here in the last few months, though, will be up to date. What is the date on your installation and users guides?

Rick

The Pilots User Guide is listed as Revision B, for use with Firmware V 1.08 dated 10-27-06.

If I dropped off the unit (I live in Seattle) how long would it take to change out the screens?

Thanks,

Rick

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It generally takes about a week to change the screen. We need to re-calibrate the unit, so this process is unfortunately not a while-u-wait kind of operation.

yak55

Once the diplays go through an upgraded, is there a auto dimming feature?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
They can be manually dimmed, but there is no automatic way to do this. This is true of both the normal and extra bright screens. The only difference between the two screens is the screen. The software and all other hardware is identical.

Our screens do go very dim - 0.4 and 0.8 nits.