Supply Chain Update: How the current crisis is affecting Dynon

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
At Dynon, we endeavor to always have products on the shelf, ready to ship to you. We accomplish this by ordering components well in advance of when we know we’ll need them, years in many cases. We also carry more finished products and parts in inventory than many other companies do. We do these things because our founder and CEO spent much of his career in semiconductors, where a volatile boom/bust cycle is normal. This strategy has served us well over the last 20+ years.

However, the current sustained global supply chain crisis has seen us face increasing supplier de-commitments and dramatically increased delivery times, impacting our ability to keep critical components in stock. This, along with increased customer demand (2021 is a record year at Dynon), means we will have challenges delivering some products in the coming months.

Dynon has found alternatives for many components - often at much higher prices. However, there are components critical to experimental SkyView displays that are not available at all right now, at any cost.

Therefore, we are currently unable to manufacture or ship experimental SkyView HDX, SkyView Classic, and SkyView SE displays.

Our engineering team is working aggressively through the holidays to finish changes to SkyView’s design to mitigate this issue. At this time, the earliest date we estimate a return to production is Feb 1, 2022. As this is a dynamic and challenging time, this date is subject to change.

Due to similar shortages, other Dynon products may have increased lead times than we normally expect. However, all non-display products remain in production at the moment, and the vast majority of products are available for immediate delivery.

We continue to accept orders for all products. Our sales team will work closely with our customers and dealers to determine delivery schedules based on order dates and each customer's expected needs.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and continued business during this challenging time. We are excited for a smoother 2022.

jnmeade

Does this mean you are still building and shipping certificated SkyView HDX, SkyView Classic, and SkyView SE displays?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Sort of. Only SkyView HDX is certified, by the way. But we’ve actually been backordered on PMA'd displays for Dynon Certified installations due to an earlier hardware change that is still pending certification. Therefore, the last few months of our already-limited display production availability has been sold exclusively to experimental customers. We’re trying to serve both sides of the business fairly, and not favoring one over the other. Due to certification, the exact components in each version do vary slightly. The certified version of SkyView HDX displays may resume shipping sooner, depending on our certification approvals.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Quick update here. We're getting close. Our engineering team is making great progress on the changes that we need to make to adapt to parts changes being forced by the supply chain crisis.

February 1 was the earliest possible date that we believed was possible back in December (see original post in this thread). We're obviously beyond that.

February isn't impossible, but March is more likely when we'll be able to resume shipping based on everything we currently know.

badia358

Since we are now in the middle of March, any new news on when the experimental HDX will start shipping again?

zagortenay

hi in february we ordered two 7 inch hdx screens for our ctsw , we still don't have a delivery date, when do you expect to resume deliveries

prepperpilot

Just heard from my avionics supplier. Waiting to HDX 10in since December. Back order stuff is being sent out. He just got notified 3 HDx units ordered through him are shipped.
Hope mine shows up soon.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Overall: Things are tight, and will continue to be for a while. The details vary by product, and frankly, from day to day and week to week as we're able to get critical parts we need, which sometimes happens when we expects, and sometimes doesn't. A few more details, with the BIG CAVEAT that these estimate can change, and already have, at any time:

Experimental HDX displays: We're quite backordered. There is limited stock available in March, hopefully more in April, but we won’t be out of our catch-up mode for a while.
Certified HDX displays: Limited availability to continue for the coming two to six months. We will be shipping, but not as much as everyone wants until later in the year. Because displays are constrained, we continue to ship one HDX display per aircraft so that customers can get their aircraft flying now.
Certified EFIS-D10A: These are also quite backordered. They are shipping, but it will take a while to get out from being way behind.
SkyView Classic/SE - D1000/D700 and D900/600. We do not currently have an expectation on when we'll be able to ship SkyView Classic and SE displays. Our sales team is reaching out to customers that have these on order to talk about options.

If you have an order in directly with us, our sales team can help provide more information about your specific order/situation. If you've ordered through a dealer, please contact them directly.

1967 V35

Thank you for the update. Guess I can delay my upgrade till the fall in hopes of getting all the parts together. Look forward to seeing the team at Air Venture.

prepperpilot

Mmm? Just talked to a fellow pilots doing panel upgrades.
Apparently certified HDX displays are going out before Experimental? Only had to wait a a month or two to get theirs! Guess if you pay more for certified you get it quicker. Been waiting 6months.
Sorry. Just grumpy and venting. Frustrating.

zagortenay

hello everyone, I believe that at this point it is no longer a supply problem, as I have already written we ordered two 7-inch hdx screens in February but still today we cannot be sure about deliveries. pilots who ordered the certificates in the same period have already received them.
Although I think it is more convenient for Dynon to give priority to certificates rather than experimental, and they use the excuse of lack of supplies, I hope I'm wrong, I would be sorry to change my opinion on dynon

ty1295

From what I know there are 2 things at play. Certified screens require them to be made the exact same as they were certified. (same chips). So screens going to those airplanes have to be exact. As a stop gap Dynon has worked to possibly find an alternate chip as an alternative. These can be used in experimental and I would assume certified if/when FAA approves. I am 100% sure Dynon does not have a room full of screens, months of backorder in place and doing a dance singing "we got screens but we wont' ship them!" The world has sure gotten strange lately for sure in many ways.