Sv 6.0 and SL30 data exchange problem

bobl_51

I love flying!
I installed Skyview 6.0 this morning and am having problems with the freq exchange with my SL30 radio.
I configured the setup page DisplayedCom> Garmin/Apollo SL30 (Port 3).
NAV section is working fine - I can push NAV frequencies from the TUNE NAV button and the HSI displays the VOR correctly.
But I can't push COMM frequencies - the TUNE COM button does nothing. And if I change frequencies on the radio, the top bar shows the active/standby frequencies for about 2 secs then goes back to a red X.
See attached pic. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Attachments

• photo_007.JPG
    photo_007.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 105

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Any idea how old your SL-30 is and what firmware it's on? Not that we know this is an issue for sure, just asking as one data point.

barbeau

I have a similar problem.
I fly a Dynamic WT9 with two SV1000 and SL30. I updated the two display to V6
NAV and COM works perfectly with "Master display" pilot side, but on "slave" copilot side, I don'get frequencies displaied on top bar (red cross instead).
I checked setup, and din't fond anything wrong.
Any idea every body?
Bernard

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Bernard,
The radio must be wired to both screens, and your problem sounds like it's only wired to one.

trevpond

I have an Apollo SL30, frequencies show on the Skyview Display, but can't select a frequency on Skyview and then use the tune button to load it into standby on the SL30.

Any ideas?

regards

Trev :-/ :-/

Ken_Kopp

I have an Apollo SL30, frequencies show on the Skyview Display, but can't select a frequency on Skyview and then use the tune button to load it into standby on the SL30.

Any ideas?

regards

Trev :-/ :-/

Mine works great. You sure you have all the serial wires connected correctly?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We have an SL-30 at the office, and 2 of our beta planes have one and it just worked. Additionally, one beta plane has an SL-40. So it's a pretty tested system. For the people with actual SL-30/40's with issues, it's either software configuration, wiring, or firmware in the radio that is causing issues. Checking your firmware version and reporting it would be helpful. We're not yet experts on the different versions of firmware over the years.

For non SL-30/40 radios, all we can say is that we support that protocol, so anyone that claims compatibility should just work, but that's up to them, not us. The SL series protocol is the de-facto standard for radios, and is published right in the SL install manuals, so it's a good one to use. We'll do our best to help, but there's only so much we can do if the radio doesn't talk the right protocol.

bobl_51

I love flying!
Checked the SL30 software as requested:
Nav software version 1.10
Com software version 2.1
DSP software version 1.10
I have no idea how old the unit itself is; it was part of the plane when I bought it.
Is there a known issue with old SL30 hardware or software?

bobl_51

I love flying!
And I'm not sure this is related, but for me, the HSI NAV info box display is different than shown in the pilot user guide (e.g. fig 30). When I tune a VOR via the radio, I see the nav frequency displayed in green for a few secs in the HSI info box, then when the morse is decoded, the frequency is replaced by --- and the station ident is displayed. The user guide figure shows both being displayed - I never thought to question this, but it was happening in 5.0

jc2da

As another datapoint, my SL-30 (purchased about 3 to 4 years ago) seems to be working fine. the "TUNE TO COM" function appears to work as expected. The airport dentifiers and freqs for COM in the top bar also update as i change the frequencies in the SL-30, so the exchange works both ways for me.

however, i do have some other usability issues, so i will start a new thread.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Can anybody else confirm that they see what bobl sees on the frequency display once the morse is decoded?

jc2da

I have a screenshot that shows the normal display. I haven't noticed anything unusual here.

DrewSwenson

I had a couple of issues that got solved---but not sure if it was my steps or luck.

Initial issue:
-SL30 pri and standby freqs displayed on SV top bar. Flip flop function worked well
-could not push standby freqs to SL30
-SV course knob worked but did not update the SL-30 OBS display. However, dialing the SL30 OBS display DID move the SV course. If I was moving the OBS, the SV course would jump to the OBS number and stay matched.

All items were checked and set as per page 4-16 in the SV installation guide.

On a whim, changed SL30 indicator head type to Serial (from none). This allowed me to push freqs to the SL30 but I completely lost the SV course/SL30 OBS function. Switched SL30 indicator head type back to "none" and now everything appears to work.

The SL30 has the capability to read a list of frequencies by airport. For whatever reason, I can't get this to work. Does this capability exist with SV? Tried these 2 ways that I thought would work:

-on SL30: push "sel" and then the big knob should take me to the list of nearest airports with the small knob flipping thru the airport freqs. The big knob is taking me to SL30 internal lists (like autostored, wx, etc) but not from external SV (DSP is "on" if that matters).

-tried the SV "APT-COM" to see if that would send a list from a specific airport. Does this button only work for the SV radio?

preid

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1356548672/2#2

look at the last response from Dynon- 1 freq at a time.

jc2da

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1370536898

Also, check out the above thread and voice your opinion. I am advocating for the APT->COM push button populate the #1 spot in the RCL list you talk about. It would be an easy change for a lot of utility for us SL30/40 users.

DrewSwenson

Yes---would be extremely happy if I could at least get APT-COM to populate the first slot in the SL30 recall (complete with ATIS, CTAF, etc markings).

I think the SL30 has the ability to store more than one set of airport freqs at a time. But would be extremely satisfied to at least get an airport's worth of freqs from the APT-COM button!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The APT>COM button shouldn't even be there for the SL30 (as currently designed). That's a bug. We also agree that having that feature to populate the SL30 more fully would be neat. We have to start somewhere though, and we're forced to draw lines all over the place. The assertion that ANY feature is "easy" when it involves communicating with 3rd party products that have had multiple hardware and software revisions (that are sticky, especially, because of cert issues) just isn't true, based on our experience. In fact, even the basic feature that we DO support of shooting single COM/NAV freqs to the SL40/30 sby location doesn't seem to be working for everyone (see above). This, despite the fact that we know "it works" from having tested it ourselves.

DrewSwenson

Dynon--the original supported radio was the SL-30. And the SL30 inherently has the capability to support the nearest airports com freqs from GPS systems. So from there---I would think that it would be "easy". If not---then ok. But more or less as noted by several posters---if you are just pushing one freq, it is kind of easier just to dial it myself (I have all the freqs right in front of my on my IPAD. But if I could actually use the APT-COM function that pushed all the particular airport freqs simultaneously to the SL30 with their appropriate tags (ATIS, TWR, etc), you sort of take a casually useful function to a really powerful function. In a way, it would sort of mimic your new Dynon radio---but the Dynon display is WAY better since (you have to use the SL30 small knob to roll thru the airport freqs one by one for standby selection).

And if you note my post above---I did get the freq push to the SL-30---but not really sure what I did to get it to work---other than noted on my post.