SV and SL-30/40 Users Please Read!

DrewSwenson

jchang---I have a better solution for you. Carry an IPAD with either Wingx (which I use) or Foreflight wifi'd to a ADS-B receiver. On Wingx, tap on the airport, select weather, and it will pull up that airport and all the airports near it---simultaneously you can either look at all the metars or all of the TAFs. Beats trying to listen to a lot of different freqs.

Back to APT-COM on one airport. The issue is that if I am calling up the SV nearest airport feature, selecting an airport, and pushing a freq...great chance that I am going to end up stepping thru 3 freqs airborne(ATIS---then TWR, then GND) in a very predictable manner and 4 freqs on the ground (ATIS, then CD, then GND, then Twr). It would be a cool feature to have----and I would get great use out of it. Just grabbing the one freq using the current method...will most likely just dial it myself. Already have all the freqs right in front of me on my IPAD.

aerofurb

I would listen to AWOS at APT1, then APT2, then APT3, and then go back to APT1 for maybe winds or altimeter i had missed.

Each time, I had to go into SV INFO for that frequency info, hit the TUNE button, hit the SWAP. Then I got confused very quickly dealing with so many frequencies. Am I listening to the right one, did i hit swap or not, etc.

Perhaps I'm missing the point here but surely you can put the freqs into the 'standby' position of the SL-30 and monitor that, leaving your primary freq in the 'in use' position.

Okay you have to do it manually if it causes too many button presses on the SV. And perhaps have them written down.

Advantage with v6.0 is that the freqs are identified on the top of the SV screen so you do not who you're listening/talking to - which is a big plus IMHO.

robbtodd

I had a scenario last weekend dealing with some challenging weather - lots of overcast layers and clouds. Thus, I was tuning into ATIS/AWOS for several airports along my route. I would listen to AWOS at APT1, then APT2, then APT3, and then go back to APT1 for maybe winds or altimeter i had missed.

Each time, I had to go into SV INFO for that frequency info, hit the TUNE button, hit the SWAP. Then I got confused very quickly dealing with so many frequencies. Am I listening to the right one, did i hit swap or not, etc. It was a royal pain and a lot of confusion I did not need while dealing with challenging weather at the same time!

Do you have an ADSB receiver? I had a similar experience coming back from Idaho recently. I selected nearest then weather, weather from all nearby wx reporting stations was displayed. Never listened to any weather. That along with the weather overlay made my flight much easier. Since I have two displays I left the wx page up all the way. my displays are set up: flight instruments and map on #1, engine gauges and airport info/wx on #2

jc2da

No ADS-B yet. Not sure why they dont report my home field, which makes me less motivated.