SV-AP-PANEL and RAC G207 Stick Grip Wiring

aerovin

I love flying!
I retrofitted a SV-AP-PANEL to my Skyview system on my RV-8 equipped with Ray Allen G207 stickgrip. I thought I had worked through the wiring issues and built a harness that would integrate the 15 pin connector in the autopilot panel but it did not work as planned. Just a head's up to anyone contemplating doing the same. The G207 uses a single power lead connected to the "NO" (normally open) terminal on the four trim switches; the "NC" (normally closed) terminal is ground. The SV-AP-PANEL uses the NO terminal as the ground, however, and does not use the NC terminal at all in the wiring. I figured this out eventually, and then thought I could use the old stick grip power lead as the new ground connection by switching pins around in my stick wiring connector. That works quite well to get the trim switches to work properly. However, the other three switches on the stick grip that I use for IDENT, CWS, and PTT, do not work because the old ground wire is no longer active. I can't combine the grounds, either, because as per the RAC wiring instructions, the old ground wire is first connected to one of the trim NC terminals first, which would then have two ground (NO and NC) sources at that switch.

So, I am left to rewire the three other switches (IDENT, CWS, and PTT) in the grip to use the "new" ground wired to the NO terminal on the trim switches.

The above probably does not make much sense unless you are doing the wiring, but basically the RAC wiring using the "NO" trim switch terminals as power to the trim servos, and the SV-AP-Panel uses the "NO" terminals for ground. It is not a straightforward retrofit.

I have not seen this written up anywhere else, so I thought it worth mentioning. Or, perhaps I am clueless here and there is an easy fix to get around this problem.

Spcialeffects

I love flying!
Hi Aerovin. I am building at the moment, my plane is in the paint shop and I'm wiring up the panel. I'm using the ray allen G205 grips and have wired them up as you say and am wiring the AP panel. Do you have a wiring diagram for the stick grip as you have re-wired to get all buttons working?

many thanks Frank