SV Knob panel with HDX

421driver

How necessary is the SV Knob panel for use with the HDX? I am upgrading from a classic to the HDX and am thinking of removing my knob panel for additional panel space. This panel is great for the classic but is it really necessary with a touch display?

421driver

I would say it's about 80% necessary for serious IFR flight - not strictly required but man does it make it easier.

VFR, no worries.
can't you change the bugs by touching the setting on the screen and rotating the left knob? no need to select the function of the knob by using the knob menu, right? just tap the bug on the screen and rotate the knob to adjust? I fly behind a garmin G600 and even that requires a button push to select the knob function on the left side of the unit. Am I missing something that makes it harder for ifr without it?

airguy

can't you change the bugs by touching the setting on the screen and rotating the left knob? no need to select the function of the knob by using the knob menu, right? just tap the bug on the screen and rotate the knob to adjust? I fly behind a garmin G600 and even that requires a button push to select the knob function on the left side of the unit. Am I missing something that makes it harder for ifr without it?
Personal choice - yes you can do exactly as you say, but that now requires two actions versus one. When things are happening quickly in turbulence and IMC, I'm a firm believer that less is more. I'm a fan of having the dedicated knobs.

Reactions: ned

cbennet12

Count me in with airguy and Carl. I have the HDX and would not give up the Knob panel. Every extra step counts when the workload is high.

Craig

Brent Dana

If doing again, yes i would do it. Would recommend vertical, and right of panel, lower than screen. Mine is at the top, and arm gets in the way. Going to move mine right-

Marc_J._Zeitlin

How necessary is the SV Knob panel for use with the HDX? I am upgrading from a classic to the HDX and am thinking of removing my knob panel for additional panel space. This panel is great for the classic but is it really necessary with a touch display?
You've gotten a bunch of responses indicating great support for the knob panel. And if you have enough panel space for it and all the other stuff you want/need, I agree - it's very useful and helpful. But on my COZY MKIV panel, I would have had to lose either the COM head or the A/P controller head, and obviously that couldn't happen while still retaining those functionalities. So the knob panel was not installed.

While I agree that it's a bit more of a PITA to set the heading/track, altimeter and altitude via the touchscreen and/or EFIS knob, I don't find it a large problem - having to touch the screen before twiddling a knob takes all of an extra second or two, even in turbulence. There's nothing else on my panel that I'd be willing to give up in order to get the Knob Panel. If you have the space, by all means, keep it. If you don't, it's not the end of the world to eliminate it.

CanardMulti

Another place for the knob panel. With palm resting on throttle levers, the knobs fall under your fingertips. Knobs can be adjusted by feel; being staggered instead of in line makes memorizing which is which easy.
Knob Panel 1.jpg