SV -XPNDR -261 Output of "Flight ID"

thibault

Mine works fine, but does not output the "Flight ID".  Should it and if so, what do I change to get that?  I searched the installation manual and pilot's guide.

I know this by looking at the received ADS-B data using two different ADS-B receivers.  They show a correct "call sign" for me but a "flight ID" of "unknown"

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
A few things to make sure of though: Is your N number in SkyView correct? That means no dashes, ensuring that zeroes are zeroes and not "ohs", and having your SkyView system up to date (the way we internally handle N numbers and hex codes has changed over time)

thibault

Dynon,

So, does the Trig populate the Flight ID or not.  The 5:37 PM response sounds like NO, but the 5:39 response makes me wonder.

Yes, the N number is in Skyview correctly.  I am running the latest FW.  As I said above, 

"They show a correct "call sign" for me but a "flight ID" of "unknown" "

Both the ADS-B receivers tell me the call sign is mine and correct, but the flight ID is "UNKNOWN"

swatson999

I sure would like the ability to broadcast a Flight ID versus the N-number. Can this be done with a coding change in SkyView?

I don't think this is something that you can just do because you want to...it has to match an FAA flight plan, and use an FAA-approved ID (air carrier, medical flight, etc.).

You can't just change it to "TURBO" because it would be cool :)

Sadly.

kellym

I love flying!
I sure would like the ability to broadcast a Flight ID versus the N-number. Can this be done with a coding change in SkyView?

I don't think this is something that you can just do because you want to...it has to match an FAA flight plan, and use an FAA-approved ID (air carrier, medical flight, etc.).

Sadly.
However, if you are flying a Lifeguard or Compassion or similar flight, you are supposed to have the correct flight ID transmitted. Some ADSB units have this capability to input a legitmate ID, some do not. I know that some big flight schools that have approved call sign do input that rather than tail number.

swatson999

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/march/pilot/adsb-npe

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So to clarify, it turns out we do copy the tail number into the Flight ID message. So it should show up, I believe. Double check that your transponder doesn't have an update pending (the software version would be yellow in the transponder setup menu).

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Also, what kind of device are you using to verify the flight id? It could be that some apps are smart and may negate their display of flight ID if it matches callsign.

turbopilot

Sadly.

A little context. On another aviation forum there was a discussion about a law firm in the Phoenix area (working for a client) sending threading letters to aircraft owner's who where legally flying in a certain area. The client obviously did not want aircraft overhead. They apparently are using ADSB N-Numbers to find the owner. These are VFR flights not talking to ATC.

The idea was tabled that owners should have the option to use a "Flight ID" instead of a N-Number for VFR operations. Appears from the discussion here  FAA may have to approve the use of a "Flight ID". The question is does that apply to VFR only flights?

swatson999

Well, the FARs state:

Minimum Broadcast Message Element Set for ADS-B Out. Each aircraft must broadcast the following information, as defined in TSO-C166b or TSO-C154c. The pilot must enter information for message elements listed in paragraphs (d)(7) through (d)(10) of this section during the appropriate phase of flight.

(1) The length and width of the aircraft;

(2) An indication of the aircraft's latitude and longitude;

(3) An indication of the aircraft's barometric pressure altitude;

(4) An indication of the aircraft's velocity;

(5) An indication if TCAS II or ACAS is installed and operating in a mode that can generate resolution advisory alerts;

(6) If an operable TCAS II or ACAS is installed, an indication if a resolution advisory is in effect;

(7) An indication of the Mode 3/A transponder code specified by ATC;

(8) An indication of the aircraft's call sign that is submitted on the flight plan, or the aircraft's registration number, except when the pilot has not filed a flight plan, has not requested ATC services, and is using a TSO-C154c self-assigned temporary 24-bit address;

(9) An indication if the flightcrew has identified an emergency, radio communication failure, or unlawful interference;

(10) An indication of the aircraft's “IDENT” to ATC;

(11) An indication of the aircraft assigned ICAO 24-bit address, except when the pilot has not filed a flight plan, has not requested ATC services, and is using a TSO-C154c self-assigned temporary 24-bit address;

(12) An indication of the aircraft's emitter category;

(13) An indication of whether an ADS-B In capability is installed;

(14) An indication of the aircraft's geometric altitude;

(15) An indication of the Navigation Accuracy Category for Position (NACP);

(16) An indication of the Navigation Accuracy Category for Velocity (NACV);

(17) An indication of the Navigation Integrity Category (NIC);

(18) An indication of the System Design Assurance (SDA); and

(19) An indication of the Source Integrity Level (SIL).

So I think that no, VFR flights can't do that, but a check with FSDO or FAA legal in DC would probably be the right way to find out.

As an aside, this is exactly why I think the FAA should NOT be listing information like addresses for either pilot certificates or aircraft registration.  It's precisely why states stopped doing so for auto license plates...because some nutjob used a young acress's vehicle license plate to get her address from the DMV, and then went there and killed her.

FAA shouldn't be putting personal, private information like that online.

RV8JD

As an aside, this is exactly why I think the FAA should NOT be listing information like addresses for either pilot certificates or aircraft registration.  It's precisely why states stopped doing so for auto license plates...because some nutjob used a young acress's vehicle license plate to get her address from the DMV, and then went there and killed her.

Pilots may request that the FAA not publish their address information in the Airmen database using the site below.  It can be done online or by mail.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/change_releasability/

Unfortunately, there is no way to withhold an airplane owner's address from the Aircraft Registration database.

swatson999

Pilots may request that the FAA not publish their address information in the Airmen database using the site below.  It can be done online or by mail.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/change_releasability/

Unfortunately, there is no way to withhold an airplane owner's address from the Aircraft Registration database.

I know about that, but it should be the default to not publish PII. And it only solves the problem for pilot certificates. Publishing owner name and address info for an airplane is exactly analogous to DMV publishing auto license owner/address info...

GalinHdz

IMHO this sounds like something that needs to be discussed with your "Congress Critter" not with others on an Avionics Forum.

:cool:

RV8JD

I know about that...
That wasn't noted in your post.

And it only solves the problem for pilot certificates.
I think that was clear in my post.

Publishing owner name and address info for an airplane is exactly analogous to DMV publishing auto license owner/address info...
You said that in your OP, no need to repeat yourself.

Hey, I was just trying to let pilots know that they could opt to have their address omitted from the FAA Airmen Certificate database.

swatson999

IMHO this sounds like something that needs to be discussed with your "Congress Critter" not with others on an Avionics Forum.

Just following the thread drift from the context that Turbopilot provided. Not like thread drift is a rare thing on internet fora ;)

GalinHdz

Just because thread drift is common on INTERNET forums doesn't make it appropriate. And to quote Forrest Gump, "That's the last I will say about it"