SV32 servos in Glasair Super IIRG

steve_izett

Hi there

When I try and calibrate the SV32 servo's in our recently completed Glasair Super IIRG the Elevator/Pitch servo makes an enormous amount of noise and doesn't look to be moving the Elevator. Sounds like a real banging noise like its slipping. The Glasair uses a spring based trim system that means the torque required to move the elevator from full up to full down is substantial. Yet that was the recommended servo when I purchased them some years back.
Can someone help me out here?

Thanks.

Steve
Perth Western Australia.

XPRSAV8R

Hi there

When I try and calibrate the SV32 servo's in our recently completed Glasair Super IIRG the Elevator/Pitch servo makes an enormous amount of noise and doesn't look to be moving the Elevator. Sounds like a real banging noise like its slipping. The Glasair uses a spring based trim system that means the torque required to move the elevator from full up to full down is substantial. Yet that was the recommended servo when I purchased them some years back.
Can someone help me out here?

Thanks.

Steve
Perth Western Australia.
Hi Steve,
Have you confirmed that the sheer pin wasn't snapped? By the way, you can reference the servo application guide here: https://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Servo_Application_Guide#Glasair_II.2FIII. You've got the suggested servo size, but it may or may not fit your application. I think Dynon has some trade-in procedure to help ensure you have the correct one for your application.

jakej

I've reached out to Steve.

For other Glasair owners & Dynon support -
https://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Servo_Application_Guide#Glasair_II.2FIII.
I note that the list shows Known to work? = No
Pitch Servo - From my install experience, & due to the Glasair elevator trim system being spring biased on the elevators (no trim tabs), I strongly recommend using the SV42T servos & the Dynon Auto Trim feature available via the AP Panel.
Roll Servo - SV32 works well on the G1/GII's & SV42 for the GIII. YMMV :)
FYI - Glasair Glastar/Sportsman - the servos can be the standard SV42's connected directly to the controls (my preferred method) rather than using the capstan type.

Jake Jansen
Glasair IISFT
Australia