SYSEVENT 20 , HDX went black

Larbiere

SysEvent 20 ?!!

Does anyone know what this is about?

I was flying "straight and level" with the autopilot engaged at Flight Level 65. In the USB slot, there was a memory stick containing navigation and approach charts. After about an hour of flight, the Dynon screen went black and rebooted. After rebooting, everything seemed to be functioning normally as before. The message "Sysevent 20: See Setup" was displayed, and it didn't go away until landing.

I should also mention that the system is a Dynon HDX 10’ (single screen) and that it has been running without any issues for about 450 hours (approximately 1,5 years old). This error has occurred for the first and only time so far.

I am very interested in knowing what the error "Sysevent 20" means and, more importantly, if I should expect the system, including the autopilot and artificial horizon, to potentially fail in the future.

Best regards, Jean-Paul

MikeD

Experienced a similar event on a new HDX install with about 100 hours on the Hobbs. This happened during runup. Rebooted twice with a Sysevent 20 and a Sysevent 21, then resumed normal operations. What I was able to glean from tech support is that a Sysevent 20 is a software generated event where a watchdog monitoring task identifies that the integrity of the system has been lost and generates a reboot. Have not seen it since.

I would not want to experience that at Flight Level 65.

Larbiere

Hello,

Unfortunately, I receive no response from the Dynon Support Team regarding this issue. Or perhaps I'm just a bit impatient, and it's normal to wait a bit longer for a response.

If an member from the Dynon Support Team happens to be reading this, I would really appreciate a brief statement. The incident is causing some concern!

On October 9th, I contacted Dynon via email and received the following message:

"Your request (113429) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff."

Best regards, Jean-Paul

MikeD

If you sent them the debug files, they will most likely send them over the software engineering team to evaluate. It doesn't necessarily mean that they will be able to find the root cause of the sys20 event as was the case that I saw during runup. Good luck, and keep us udated!

Larbiere

Here is the answer I got from the Dynon Support 🤷‍♂️

Hello,
System event 20 was recently added and only means that the application was unhappy about something and it rebooted to clear the problem.
Engineering is investigating the causes to see what they need to fix to make things run smoothly.
Don Jones
Customer Support Manager
Dynon

MikeD

Anything new to report? My wingman has a new Skyview HDX system installed. This weekend the PFD screen froze and then rebooted with a System Event 20 error message. Fortunately this happened on the ground while taxiing to the active runway. Diagnostic file was sent to Dynon. This was very unsettling to say the least.

Larbiere

Hello Mike,

The Dynon Support team is working on identifying the root cause. A definitive answer has not been provided to me yet.

In the meantime, my Dynon system has been running smoothly for an additional 15 hours of flight time.

As a potential solution, it has been explained to me that there were past issues with the Wi-Fi dongle and the USB stick. The following information was provided by Dynon Support (I will report back here once I got more information):

---------------
Hello,
We share your concerns and are trying to get to the bottom of the problem. Are you running wifi dongles?
We have identified that sometimes wifi can be the source of the problem and suggest removing the dongles. Also, USB sticks with charts can sometimes cause it as well.
Engineering is working on it, but it isn't easy to find the root problem.
I will keep pushing for a fix and let you know.
Don Jones
Customer Support Manager
----------------

Alto

Greetings,

I experienced a System event 20 today on completion of installing HDX update 16.7.0
I use a wifi dongle
I have a 915is configured as "other" in the HDX setup without Dynon EMS and a Kanardia Digi for engine instrumentation.

RV14_TD

just a thought: shouldn't Dynon built the wifi interface into the HDX? How much more would that cost?

Rhino

The widespread use of wifi in aircraft is a somewhat recent phenomena. I imagine they just didn't anticipate it gathering that much steam in such a short amount of time when they designed the HDX. I also imagine it will be built into the next evolution of their products. Then some new technology will come along, and some customers will ask, "Why didn't they build this in?"

custom555

I'm curious if anyone has had a similar issue with a dual HDX set up, and did both screens reboot?