Tachometer transducers

algrajek

New Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
6
I am using a Vans aircraft Tach transducer on my Rv8 with I/O 306. I have had bad quality issues with these. I am on my 3rd one. Is there any other brand that may work with the Dynon D180. I found a Westech sender at wicks Aircraft . Does anyone know if this will work? I think it may put out an AC signal. Not sure what that means.
Thanks
AL Grajek
 
I can't say we have any direct experience of reliable knowledge on the output of that particular sensor.
 
The Drawing with the unit shows that it has A/C tach input. Not DC.
Will this work?
 
We need a lot more information than that, unfortunately. We need to know what the minimum and maximum voltage it puts out.
 
Picking this back up, here are the numbers I got from Westach:
Engine RPM, VAC
1000 4
1600 6.2
2000 7.5
3000 11.7
3600 14
4000 15.5

Sender is spinning at 0.5x RPM n my Lyc O-320 D2J.  In my install the rpm display seems reasonable when the factor is set at 0.5 in SENSORS, but the indicated RPM in my D-10 EMS is jumpy upwards.  Suggestions?
 
Based on that, it may work with SkyView (on the low voltage inputs), but won't with our D10/D100 series units, especially down at low RPM (based on that spec), since it requires a pulse that is at least 10V high.
 
Can you then recommend a tach transducer/generator for a Lycoming O-320-D2J that would work with the D10?
 
The wires from the mag p-leads with the resistors installed is the cheapest solution, but the IE VTACHGEN 2 from Vans works.
 
I appreciate the help. Is the wattage of the 30KOhm resistor used for the P-lead critical?
FWIW... I disagree with the color band descriptions you provide for the 10KOhm and 30KOhm resistors.
Paul
 
Paul

.5 or .25 watt is ok, not important. As to the colours - with my eyesight I generally confirm with a DMM, just to be sure that it is serviceable as well :)

Jake J
 
Just installed an EMS D10 in my 15-year old RV-6 to replace my microMonitor. I used the UMA T1A9 Tach Sending Unit in my LASAR slick mag. I purchased the UMA T1A9 from Aircraft Spruce. According to the spec sheet that came with the sender, it will return a pulse of 95% of the input voltage. Yes you need to run ship power to the transducer for it to work.

Today was the first engine start with the EMS D10. The tach on the EMS D10 worked great with this sender during the test run on the ground.

Just posting this so that others that are not able to use the P-Leads have another option to the unit that Van's sells.
 
Back
Top