Terrain databases

aguiraf

Attempting to upload both databases "reg_02.. and Low resol..." the following two messages are displayed: "Failed validation" and "File Error".  Any advice will be appreciated.

aguiraf

Every time I tried to upload I get a “Failed Validation” and/or “File Error”
• I have downloaded the databases 3 times to the original USB stick I have been using since I purchased Skyview
• Prior to trying to load the databases I was successful  to load Version 11
• I downloaded the terrain databases into a 16 GB usb stick
• I tried to upload the “reg_02…” database again I had the message “Failed Validation” and then immediately “File Error”
• Removed the “low resolution” database from Skyview and uploaded the “low resolution” database from the usb stick. It immediately uploaded. Success!  :)[ch61514]
• Removed the “reg_02…” from Skyview. Proceeded to upload the “reg_02..” database from the usb stick. It went through all the “Validation” process, I thought success. It started writing the file and after a few minutes I got the message “File Error”  :mad:

Any ideas?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The regional databases are pretty big, so it's more likely that that's actually an issue with the download (your previous problem with the smaller database might be something else). What is the file size of the database on the stick?

Bruno

Well I tried reinstalling the Low Terrain database today for the 4th time and it always goes to 98% then stops....

I thought initially that it will eventually finished loading but after more than an hour I finally give up...

What is the problem??? Never had a problem loading any database before..

Thanks

Bruno

jbeaver

I installed the three databases tonight on one of my displays without a hitch. Normally I see a "synchronizing databases" message on the second display after installing a database, but I didn't this time. Do I need to install these separately to each display?

aguiraf

Re: Terrain databases -Success

:D

I have successfully installed the three databases. It took a number of times going back and forth from the home to the hangar 10 miles away. I don't know exactly what is the root cause preventing the installation of the database but here is a final summary:
- the very low resolution database loaded without a glitch the first time I tried using the original USB stick
- the low and high resolution databases did not load using the original USB stick
- used a second USB stick and assumed the first to be at fault
- removed the terrain databases low and high from Skyview
- loaded the low terrain database - validation procedure done - writing file done. This one takes just a couple of minutes.
- loaded the high resolution database "reg_02..." large database close to 3Gb. validation procedure done - writing file done. The writing file procedure took 1 hr 48 minutes.  It did not hang up at 99 %. It got to 100% and closed. Message: operation successful. 

I had my charger connected to the battery to prevent any glitch of battery being discharged.

It is better to walk away and do something else during the writing of the large database as per Mike's suggestion from Skyview support.

Getting to the above action as I said took downloading the databases 3 times, trying two USB sticks and doing the loading procedure several times.

Skyview support suggested to re-format the first stick.  I have done this after the fact but can not tell if this would actually have resolved the problem. I assume so since I was not successful using this USB stick.

Removing the terrain databases, based on previous threads, may have helped but don't really know.

The fact is that after a bit of work it finally loaded. A bit of frustration  :mad:

Thanks to all the suggestions given in this forum and the calls from Skyview support "Mike" Hope this information helps others.
[/list]

L

larrynew

Both screens updated with no problems. Did take an hour each for the large database. I installed all terrain databases individually to both screens after installing version 11. I used to have problems loading files but have had zero problems since I started using the 16gb cruzer sandisk memory sticks. I think they were recommended by Dynon when the Seattle Avionics chart data came out.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We've updated the terrain database downloads page for those of you that were having issues loading the new high resolution terrain along with some of the other databases. This particularly affected PocketFMS customers, as those are a bit bigger than other aviation/obstacle databases since they're a single worldwide region. In particular, the Canada-Alaska, North America, Northern Asia, and North Pacific regions have been trimmed slightly. All other regions remain unchanged.

preid

if we already have the North America installed and working, is there any benefit to downloading and installing the updated version?
I really would rather not spend another 2-3 hours doing this process again on two displays unless it was needed.