Time for SkyView with Touch Screen

Shark2

Hi

I have seen a few touch screen applications entering the market and it makes life soooo much easier and intuitive. When are you planning to have something in this area?

S2

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We've actually looked at touch screens and they have some real UI issues in aircraft:

Pressing a specific part of the screen while in turbulence on something that is mounted vertically in the panel is almost impossible. You can't stabilize your finger before you push since even getting close to the screen can register a push.

You need very large screen elements to make anything work, but this means there isn't much more space for anything else. Bringing up a big keyboard might work fine for your car GPS, but when it blocks your PFD in IMC, that's not real helpful. Same if you need a huge slider to set your barometer.

Touchscreens hurt the visual quality of the screen quite dramatically. They block at least 10% of the light, create a haze, and are often quite reflective. We've worked really hard to make a screen that is daylight viewable in all situations with a very low reflectivity, and a touchscreen would ruin all of that.

Using touchscreens with gloves can be problematic with the optically better capacitive screens.

As you can see, we've considered this quite extensively, and the downsides of a touchscreen in this area outweigh the benefits.

PhantomPholly

I'll second what Dynon says. Give me real knobs with exaggerated clicks that I can grab onto when flying through the rough stuff in the soup over a touch-screen any day.