TIS Only Problem

jc2da

Done, although my issue is fully described already in this thread.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I know that most of you have talked to us about the issue, but the FAA would like to see that form filled out by individuals. We're trying to get them to believe us that it's a system issue on their end.

swatson999

But won't they just come back with "your SIL and SDA are 0, so the system is working fine...you're not compliant"?

I'll fill it out *after* we get the software upgrade, if it's still doing that...meanwhile, I don't want to run afoul of the FAA and have them issue some "stop broadcasting SIL/SDA 0 ADS-B packets" letter to me...

B

boblid

Seeing the same thing in Northern Arizona. Usually about 35 to 40 miles North of Prescott. Ghost pops up and stays with you at your altitude. Started after the FAA upgraded the in route radar facility near Seligman, AZ.

Garrett

I love flying!
This explains the ghosting problem.
FAA-announces-changes-to-TIS-B

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2016/January/04/FAA-announces-changes-to-TIS-B

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We assume that's what's going on too, but as that article says, and also as our FAA contacts have said, those changes were not supposed to happen for a few weeks, and we first heard of this 3 weeks ago, so we're trying to double check.

Garrett

I love flying!
The ghosting problem has been around with TIS-B since the systems inception over 15 years ago (just saying). TIS-B problems for me disappeared when I upgraded to Dynon's ADS-B with a GTN-650 3 years ago here in Florida.

Jim_Lee

I love flying!
We had the same problem flying from MLB to PTW. The ADSB traffic worked perfectly until we approached the DC SFRA. Then the Skyview would display No Radar and we would get a traffic alert on ourselves. Between DC and PTW we had about 20 false alerts which was very frustrating. We have filed the aforementioned report.

Attachments

• DSCN3316.JPG
    DSCN3316.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 166

jc2da

For those of you having issues, the FAA requests you fill out the following form so they can get this issues solved ASAP:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1M5Gb0X54OHntMw_nYSZVxo1xgxIK-ymdyCxHwsX9Hcg/viewform?c=0&w=1

One thing I didnt realize is that this Google Docs link is not owned by Dynon. It seems to be owned by the FAA. It is the same link on this page under the section "ADS-B / TIS-B / FIS-B Problem Report."

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/

I would echo the request to submit the form to report this issue. It has been 6 days and no response yet. Hopefully, we will hear something soon.

swatson999

Had them all the way from LA to Vegas...so annoying I went into the menus and turned off the audio for Traffic alerts.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for everyone's input.

The FAA has identified that the software which increases the requirements to become a TIS-B client was rolled out in a few service volumes earlier than expected. This change was originally scheduled to start on Jan 4th, 2016, but was then supposedly delayed to February. The partial nature of the roll out also means there is an additional issue that will cause ghosting almost continuously in many situations in these areas.

The known volumes are LAX and Washington DC. This does not mean other areas haven't gotten it, it's just that those are the ones communicated to us. We are aware that SFO has also reported this. It is very likely this is the same issue.

Dynon's next software release will fix this, and is expected very soon.

Thanks for everyone's help, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. On the plus side, the FAA is more than aware that Dynon customers are active users of ADS-B, and they continue to be very responsive to our input and relatively quick to work on solutions when needed.

jc2da

FIXED! It looks like the v14 update and the v2.08 transponder update, i think, fixed it for me. I get ADS-B OK just like i had before. It is amazing how dependent you get with new technology. These days you feel naked if you leave home without your cell phone, and you feel naked if you fly without ADS-B traffic. :D

65xx

UPDATE: I have installed V14 on my Dynon system, 261 txp and ADS-B receiver. After two flights, I am happy to report no more ghosties. Dan from Reno

]Guys:  If we are keeping count on "ghost traffic", I fly out of Reno Stead and have just recently started getting traffic alert with the "traffic" overlaid on top of my aircraft symbol at "00" altitude.  I have the full Dynon suite of ADS-B equipment.  NorCal is the radar service provider.  Dan[/quote]

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dan:

Glad to hear it! Thanks for letting us (and your fellow SkyView pilots) know!

AZflyer21

I love flying!
I just noticed this ghosting issue today in the Phoenix area. I have all updated software, any suggestions?

B

boblid

Seeing the same ghosting issue in Northern AZ on 5/14/2016, in the vicinity of Prescott Airport.