Touch screen

johnsteichen

So is the touch screen trade in program a phantom program?
It's been a year. What's the hangup?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
You'll be glad to hear we've actually quietly started, but first with the folks who opted for the $1600 "new unit" option. We'll be ramping up over the coming weeks. We suspect we'll have some flexibility with getting people slotted in (through our pilot program we're learning that not everybody who signed up is actually ready to go when we are), so if you could send an email to support at dynonavionics dot com (include the name and email you signed up with) with a note that you're really ready once we're up and running we'll get some priority on your trade-in.

swatson999

You'll be glad to hear we've actually quietly started, but first with the folks who opted for the $1600 "new unit" option. We'll be ramping up over the coming weeks.

We've been hearing this for a LOOOOOONG time, and reading between the lines, this just means that you're still selling only new units, and not actually taking units "in trade" for the less expensive refurbishment option.

I hate to bash on you guys, because I love the products, but honestly...a YEAR and we're still "ramping up" to the actual trade-in/refurb program?

Sigh.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Guilty on most counts - most especially of announcing something too early. I'm sorry we're not meeting your expectations here. We haven't been meeting ours either. For the record, it hasn't quite a year since we announced how we anticipated the details of how the upgrade program would workin July. We announced SkyView Touch itself in March though, and set the expectation that we'd have an upgrade program in the future.

lolachampcar

Please continue to sell well and be very busy and, yes, even late on promises. This will ensure you are around in the many years to come.

lolachampcar

Just touching base here. I was as quick as I could be to join the upgrade list when it opened. How is it going???

n223rv

I sent mine in yesterday for the upgrade..... Dynon emailed me with an RMA number and I had 2 weeks to return it. I believe they are doing first come, first serve from those of us who signed up over a year ago when it was announced. I hope to have mine back soon.

DonFromTX

I love flying!
That means mine will be going in soon then. I was pretty high on the list, got my request in early.

BMW_X6M

RV-9A O-320 Catto Prop. Dual HDX, ADSB GTN650
They shipped my new unit today. I sent my old one in for the trade in last week. So it is happening, but only if you pay the higher amount for a new unit. Right now I am doing one of my two screens.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So just a head's up: We have started processing upgrades, both the re-manufactured and the new options. We're going down the list, in order, in small batches. One thing that's changed is that we've been able to lower the price on the new trade-in option to $1295. See http://www.thenewskyview.com/touchtradein for the details. If you'd formerly indicated you wanted to do the $800 option for a remanufactured SkyView Touch display, but are not interested in the lower $1295 price for the newly-reduced price for a new one option, please let us know via email at support at dynonavionics dot com. One benefit of going with the new option is that we'll be processing those before the re-manufactured ones (the trade-ins from these displays provide some of the parts that we'll use in the re-manufacturing process).

lolachampcar

Just got my Skyview back complete with Touch.
Thanks to the Dynon team for the excellent service!!!
Bill

lolachampcar

Two observations (with one question)

First, yep, it is 1/8" deeper.  My non-touch Skyview just fit so it took making two 1/8" side strips to mount the new touch unit.  Probably not a problem for most but the touch unit is a tad deeper.

Second, the new touch unit seems brighter.  I was concerned that the coating to support the capacitive touch capability would reduce transmisivity but the display actually appears brighter/crisper.  Has there been a change to the backlight spec?  Does Skyview use CCFTs that degrade with time (highly unlikely given the low power consumption - more likely LEDs which do not degrade with time)?

Flew the touch today and it is rock solid just like the non-touch it replaced.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
SkyView is LED-backlit. The brightness isn't identical, but they're similar enough that I don't know the difference off the top of my head, nor do we advertise them as different. Shown side-by-side, you wouldn't be able to tell which is touch and which is non-touch (well, unless you're looking very carefully). The slightly matte finish, which works better in sunlight, is fundamentally the same between the two as well.