track and heading wander

ermed5

Hello all. Just got into a Glasair Glastar that was fortunate to have dual HDX's/AP installed. Two issues I have... first is that hdg and track just wander back and forth 20-30 degrees... like a gentle roller coaster. It can put you to sleep! I've restarted the system each time, but to no avail. The previous owner informed me there is a process that can be run thru while on the ground... can anyone help me with that, step by step? My thinking was that this level of equipment should function precisely... never the pilot's fault!!!! Any comments would be welcomed.

Also, my SV-ADSB 472 unit... am I able to get weather and traffic on my iPad/Foreflight from this? If so, how?

Thanks.

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Please provide more information. Is this the first use of the autpilot, or did it work before. Autopilot operations have a large number of parameter to configure the autopilot operations to the specific platform (plane). There is a Dynon guideline for this process.

jakej

Also please read the manuals first - if you still don’t ‘get it’ then at least you’ll be in a better position to reply to our questions. It therefore most likely will reduce the to/froing on this forum & get you a quicker solution. Please also post the solution to the ‘issue’ as it may help others later on ;)

ermed5

Its not the first use. The previous owner reported the same thing, and said he had a sequence of fixes to perform on the ground, but did not make those available to me.
Would you kindly show/tell me where this specific guideline is located? I might be able to follow it on my own. Thanks!

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Besidesthe Dynon installation and user manuals which you should have at leased 'browsed' through as a user of the plane with Dynon displays (and hopeful full wiring diagrams), try to get a good understanding what exactly is installed in your plane and how it is configured for your specific plane. There also is a specific "SkyView Autopilot In-Flight Tuning Guide", that would walk you through the steps of tuning the autopilot settings.

jakej

I understand that however IF the original owner had a ‘sequence of fixes’ I’d suggest he had no idea about the ‘issue’ as a proper calibration of the system would only need to be done once.
With respect pleas take the time to read the manual/s. Instant answers (gratification) will not help you long term - it’s better to have some understanding of the process/ system, IMO.