Traffic and Trade in on Dual Band ADS-B

N11VX

I love flying!
About a year ago I met a Dynon rep at Aircraft Spruce and discussed the issues I've seen with traffic disappearing from the display. He told me about the problems that had been found and fixes that were on the way, etc...

I still have the first generation "single band" ADS-B unit. He told me to get on the list for the trade-in / upgrade. I did that in November of 2017. And, despite trying to follow-up on the status of my place in line and the availability of the newer hardware, I've had no luck with e-mails to Dynon support.

Looking here on the forum, it's not clear if the issues are resolved or where things sit.

I would like to upgrade if the newer units are available and if the gremlins have been worked out. If not, I'll sit tight, and would love to know when I should follow-up again.

I appreciate any updates that can be shared.

Thank you, kindly!

-Randy

Raymo

I love aviation!
Per other threads on this topic, they are working through the backlog of orders. I too am on the list (spring 2017) and patiently waiting. The 470 is working great for me.

If you have drop-outs, it could be due to system settings or the filters that hide traffic > 5000' or 5 miles from your position (these numbers may be incorrect but there are limits).

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Basically what Ray said. We have a pretty substantial backlog of trade-ins that we interleave with new orders. We also had a pretty substantial period (many months) where we weren't shipping SV-ADSB-472 units because of a design issue. If you give Dan a call at the sales desk at 425-402-0433, he can give you an idea of where you are on the list. Know that he's out of the office, probably until next week. So you might call next week sometime. Thanks for your patience here.

kellym

I love flying!
Per other threads on this topic, they are working through the backlog of orders. I too am on the list (spring 2017) and patiently waiting. The 470 is working great for me.

If you have drop-outs, it could be due to system settings or the filters that hide traffic > 5000' or 5 miles from your position (these numbers may be incorrect but there are limits).

I got my -472 unit early this month. In both local flying, and on a 500 mile trip, I saw drop outs of traffic I was seeing visually. Generally in area of radar coverage. I don't recall if the targets were just Mode C or ADS-B equipped. I'm certain I was in range of one or more ground stations (i.e. ADS-B OK displayed). I regularly fly in the Phoenix class B area and Tucson Class C area.
It would be real useful if the ADS-B status were brought an active menu like Tools, instead of being buried in the setup menu.
KellyM
RV-10